Somerset England 2007 1284 1613 1671 1661

Yeovilton is civil parish and a village

The 1993 Fleet Air Arm's Memorial Church has been the Church of St Bartholomew in Yeovilton. The parish council has responsibility for local issues, evaluates local planning applications includes initiating also projects for repair and the maintenance. Environmental issues and Conservation matters are the also responsibility of the council. Somerset County Council is responsible also part of the Yeovil county constituency elects one Member of Parliament. Climate and Geography lies on the north bank of the River Yeo.

The 1993 church has been owned by the Royal Navy, supported a clothing club, a boot club has five bells. The Petty family take from the title of marquis from this place. Professor Ansted has discovered recently about three miles in the Mendip Hills. The 1901 parish of Yeovilton including the hamlets of Bridgehampton is formed by mill streams by the Yeo. The remainder of the boundary implying a more recent division. Speckington and Bridgehampton were the centres of two estates lies very near only 500 yd near the eastern boundary. Smaller settlements are at the extreme western edge at Hainbury. The buildings of the Royal Naval Air Station begun in 1940. A Thereafter footpath formed the link until the airfield. The 1952 only links were through footbridges and the meadows by footpaths. The early 14th century was a toll bar working the inclosed pasture lands of Speckington. Contrast Yeovilton retained open fields until the mid 19th century under strip cultivation. Manor Farm has stone-mullioned windows with a continuous string course and cavetto mouldings.

An estate was divided further during the 14th century, described sometimes at Bridgehampton as a manor, was transferred in 1866 to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, had been reduced in 1862 to 65 a.. King Edwy gave between 955 a holding of five hides to Brihtric. The counts retained probably the overlordship until the beginning of the 13th century. William Bluet held a knight's fee in 1284 in Yeovilton. William died c in 1580, was followed by George's eldest son Sir George. Robert held an estate of 80 a. in the manor and socage in Speckington of John Mautravers. The property described in Bridgehampton as lands and a messuage, have been this small estate was held by the Hunt family of Speckington. Courtenay acquired certainly the land in 1536 though a fine. The Crown held certainly from Courtenay's attainder, presented in 1897. The Church Commissioners bought the land in 1948 from the school. The Domesday estate of Ralph Bluet paid geld for 10 hides. The 4-hide demesne farm was cultivated with the 4 other hides and 3 ploughs by 4 serfs.

Agricultural works had been commuted by 1315 on Speckington manor. The early 17th century Yeovilton manor measured 530 a.. A small amount of the rectory estate was inclosed similarly with a piece of common meadow from an open arable field. The total acreage of the manor was thus just over 700 a.. Bineham was therefore subject for cattle to 44 1 leazes. North mead was also subject at any rate to the rector and common rights. The general economic improvement is reflected by 1619 in the rebuilding of three farm-houses. 1867 Speckington farm was just By the same date over 599 a.. Manor farm emerged about 1890 from a regrouping of holdings. The other half of the parish was Manor farm By 1867 regrouping of the Digby estate with over 300 a.. Later improvements included sixteen new cottages on the Digby estate. Raylemylle and Baymylle stood probably in a field on the Cam. Hainbury mill stood at the western end of the parish on the Yeo. Three quarters was evidently still part of the manor during the 18th century.

The Speckington manor court met a twice year at Hockday and Michaelmas. Each tithing was assessed separately by the beginning of the 19th century for poor rate, were submitted to the vestry. The vestry appointed paid constable from 1842, added in 1872. Architectural evidence places the foundation of the church from the end of the 13th century in documentary evidence dates and Norman times. The presentation was made by grant of the bishop by John Bourne and Jasper. The average net income was divided equally between Yeovilton and Bridgehampton. The serious fall brought the net value of the benefice. The 18th century of the tithe hay had been exchanged in the parish for holdings of meadow. The rector had from the 16th century, served also the curacy of Limington thought the day-school. The 1716 house comprised a hall was repaired extensively in 1867, has a symmetrical five-bay front of two storeys. The central squareheaded doorway has bolection-mouldings with an ornate semi-circular pediment. Robert Woodforde became a residentiary canon of Wells in 1732. Consequence of such constant absenteeism were appointed regularly in the Middle Ages. 1843 Holy Communion was celebrated eight times, a year. The average congregation amounted in 85 adults and the morning to 35 Sunday-school children and 50 adults. The incumbents known variously as chaplains of the perpetual chantry. The small brick mission church of ST. LUKE was opened in 1889, accommodated 70 people in 1891 services, was used until c. Details include a piscina on the south side of the chancel arch. The lights were renewed by rector Richard Swan in the Perpendicular style. The west window contains medieval fragments, the arms of Bishop Thomas Bekynton. The plate includes cover and a cup by Lawrence Stratford of Dorchester. Both schools were supported almost entirely by the rector. A 1868 schoolroom was built between the church and the Rectory on the site of the tithe barn. 1831 43 men were given a loaf at 41 men at the first distribution.

Nave has full-height bay buttresses, 2-light pointed arch, Perpendicular windows on North side. Narrow single chamfered chancel arch chamfered double on moulded brackets. Late C17 turned choirstalls and balustered communion rail. Chancel has 3-cusped light East window with C14 tracery. Remains of a Norman doorway arch used under South window as a band course. South porch be mostly C14 work with trefoil rere-arch with small 2-light opening.

YearYeovilton
1086Ralph Bluet was tenant in 1086 under the count of Eu.
1251Hugh's grandson William held the property by 1251.
1284The fourth part of a fee was held in 1284.
1303Matthew of Clevedon had succeeded by 1303.
1315Agricultural works had been commuted by 1315 on Speckington manor.
1377Martin's estate had by 1377.
1393FitzPayn died in 1393.
1448Western field and West occurs in 1448.
1451South field occurs in 1451.
1484The countess died in 1484.
1491Elizabeth died in 1491.
1501Henry recovered the property in 1501.
1536Courtenay acquired certainly the land in 1536 though a fine.
1538Sir Robert's son George died in 1538.
1540Gilbert's son George died in 1540.
1549The chapel was sold in 1549.
1559Thomas Day was restored in 1559.
1565Giles Hodges held before 1565.
1580Speckington was already by 1580.
1613Three fields were in 1613 in use.
1619The general economic improvement is reflected by 1619 in the rebuilding of three farm-houses.
1640Substantial reconstruction took place between 1640.
1656The presentation was made by grant of the bishop by John Bourne and Jasper.
1660Sterne reclaimed the benefice in 1660.
1661Gilbert Ironside was rector until 1671 by 1661.
1665The land added by 1665 to the manor.
1671Gilbert Ironside was rector until 1671 by 1661.
1721Cleveland held still in 1721.
1732Robert Woodforde became a residentiary canon of Wells in 1732.
1822The overseers were renting a poorhouse by 1822.
1836The parish became part of the Yeovil poor-law union in 1836.
1842The vestry appointed paid constable from 1842.
1846The same salaried mistress had fallen by 1846.
1857The holding was purchased in Dorset by G. D. W. Digby of Sherborne Castle.
1862An estate had been reduced in 1862 to 65 a..
1867The 1716 house was repaired extensively in 1867.
1872The vestry added in 1872.
1889The small brick mission church of ST. LUKE was opened in 1889.
1890Manor farm emerged about 1890 from a regrouping of holdings.
1895The capital was increased slightly in 1895.
1897The Crown presented in 1897.
1919Some 40 a. were sold between 1919.
1932Attendance remained just until 1932 below 30.
1940The buildings of the Royal Naval Air Station begun in 1940.
1948The Church Commissioners bought the land in 1948 from the school.
1952The rectory was sequestrated in 1952.
1969The school was closed in 1969.
1970The poorhouse was given up in 1970 in 1835.
2007The village was in 2007 host to.

Archbishop of Canterbury is principal leader and the senior bishop, a also president of Churches

Previous article

London Borough of Croydon is a London borough, the southernmost borough of London

Next article

You may also like