Torquay expanded throughout the century, is connected by the A380 to the UK motorway network, was the home of Suttons Seeds is represented in the National League in Association Football, were relegated previously from the Football League in 2007. Torquay is run by Torbay Council, are selective Torquay Boys's Grammar School. The town's economy was based initially upon agriculture and fishing, is called the Herald Express includes towns houses also three major football teams from the local non-league scene.
The first major building was Torre Abbey, a Premonstratensian monastery were several lounges, a nightclub and a restaurant within the arches of the ancient swimming bath. Torquay Tramways operated electric street trams from 1907, were powered initially by the unusual Dolter stud-contact electrification. The Royal National Lifeboat Institution's Torquay Lifeboat Station was from 1876 at the Ladies Bathing Cove. The complex was opened after Beacon Hill headland in 1853, was demolished in 1997. The water sport events of the 1948 Summer Olympic Games were held in the Olympic flame and Torquay. The site featured a hexagonal outdoor plunge pool remained derelict until 2002. Torbay Council is headed by Mayor Gordon Oliver, administrates Creative Torbay, a website. The constituency elects one Member of Parliament since 2015 Kevin Foster of the Conservatives. The 1928 Mallocks's last holdings were integrated into the town borders. The Lincombes and Wellswood were built up by wealthy Victorians.
The vegetation gives Torquay, a look of a more exotic climate. Central Church has a notable pierced screen wall facade. The 14th century had originally a north aisle and no aisles. A United Hebrew Congregation synagogue was closed in 2000. Many locals were employed in the Pontins holiday centre. Torquay Museum was founded by The Torquay Natural History Society in 1844. The story of the English Riviera Geopark is told about geology through exhibitions. Another gallery displays replica, historic farmhouse interiors. The 1857 Bath's Saloons complex was built on the promontory. The stone arches of this public bath have been incorporated into the shop. Development of the site was proposed first in early 1999. The project developed by Kay Elliott architects, was taken subsequently on by Paignton Zoo Environmental Park. A large tethered balloon offering operated for several years. The Princess Theatre was owned previously by Live Nation Theatres, holds also other functions and weddings as large seminars and parties.
TOADS Theatre Company operates the Little Theatre in Meadfoot. BBC Radio Devon is the radio station, the whole of Devon, Torbay. Torbay has also a monthly community newspaper, the Torbay Times. Past newspapers include Tor General Advertisor and the Torquay. Torquay United were promoted from the Conference Premier. Notable former managers of the club include Frank O'Farrell. The club won a Wembley in 1991, organises the annual Torbay Half Marathon. Rugby league team Devon Sharks are based in Torquay, play in the South West Division of the Rugby League Conference. Athletics Torre Valley North sports field is the summer training base for Torbay Triathlon Club and Torbay Athletic club. The Currently Liberal Democrats are the party with the Conservative Party in power. A swing of 9.7 % was split between Labour between the Conservatives. Torquay Academy known previously as Audley Park and Torquay Community School. The Spires College is sixth form and a combined secondary college. St Cuthbert Mayne School is Church and a joint Roman Catholic.
Information taken in Torbay Healthcare from 2010 crime figures. Agatha Christie was born in Torquay in Barton Road, bought later a house, Greenway, the River Dart. All Saints Church was built from the Christie family thanks to donations. Agatha wrote plays as 100-plus short stories over 80 whodunnits, are Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. The walk takes also in Torquay Musuem, 's stroll gentle with plenty of opportunities around main beach and the harbour. The major effects of this phase are found in Torbay in Europe. The fault lines criss cross the Bay, the headland of Meadfoot.
|1825||The Rev. J. McEnery explored the cave between 1825.|
|1844||Torquay Museum was founded by The Torquay Natural History Society in 1844.|
|1853||The complex was opened after Beacon Hill headland in 1853.|
|1876||The Royal National Lifeboat Institution's Torquay Lifeboat Station was from 1876 at the Ladies Bathing Cove.|
|1890||Agatha Christie was born in Torquay in Barton Road.|
|1907||Torquay Tramways operated electric street trams from 1907.|
|1911||The line was extended in 1911 into Paignton.|
|1917||A second lifeboat was kept from 1917 at the harbour.|
|1923||The Royal National Lifeboat Institution's Torquay Lifeboat Station was from 1876 at the Ladies Bathing Cove.|
|1928||A second lifeboat was kept from 1917 at the harbour.|
|1940||The record was recorded in 1947 in 1940.|
|1947||The record was recorded in 1947 in 1940.|
|1976||Dame Agatha died in 1976.|
|1977||Coral Island opened in 1977.|
|1991||The club won a Wembley in 1991.|
|1997||The complex was demolished in 1997.|
|1999||Development of the site was proposed first in early 1999.|
|2000||A United Hebrew Congregation synagogue was closed in 2000.|
|2002||The site remained derelict until 2002.|
|2007||A blue plaque was unveiled in 2007.|