European settlement began with a French fur trading outpost in the late 17th century, grew into an important transportation hub, developed after construction a few miles to the north of Fort William. Manufacturing and Forestry played important roles in the city's economy, have declined in recent years. The city takes name at the head of Lake Superior from the immense Thunder Bay, has an area of 328.48 square kilometres, a law school reflects the settlement patterns of the 19th century is quite sunny an important railway hub also home to with each year.
The city is governed by twelve councillors and a mayor, held a contest is served by the fourth busiest airport by the Thunder Bay International Airport, are cultural centres has hosted sporting several large events, the Summer Canada Games. The city operates fifteen neighbourhood community centres, 84 seasonal outdoor rinks and six indoor ice rinks, three seasonal outdoor pools and two indoor community pools as a portable pool, publishes a bi-monthly newsletter to citizens. The Montreal-based North West Company established Fort William. Discovery of copper had prompted a national demand on the Canadian shores of Lake Superior for mining locations. French-speaking Jesuits established the Mission de l Immaculée-Conception. The Province of Canada negotiated the Robinson Treaty with the Ojibwa of Lake Superior in 1850. Construction headquarters and This public works depot acquired first name in 1870 05, was renamed Port Arthur in 1883 05 by the Canadian Pacific Railway. The arrival of the CPR sparked a long rivalry between the towns.
The CPR preferred east Fort William on the lower Kaministiquia River. The collapse of silver mining undermined the economy of Port Arthur had an economic depression while Fort William. The era of Sir Wilfrid Laurier began a period of extraordinary growth. The Canadian Northern Railway established facilities at Port Arthur. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway began in 1905 at the Fort William Mission. Grain elevator construction boomed as the volume of grain. The twin cities had Fort William and modern infrastructures. Port Arthur built Canada's first municipally-owned electric street railway opened the Neebing yards in 1922 in Neebing Township, has suburban areas and own central business districts. A war-time economy emerged with the making of munitions. The population of the two cities had recovered to pre-war levels. The forest products industry has played an important role from the 1870s in the Thunder Bay economy. Paper mill and the first pulp was established in Port Arthur, was followed at Fort William by a mill.
Bombardier Transportation has remained a mainstay of the post-war economy has produced transportation equipment and forestry equipment as GO Transit and the Toronto Transit Commission for urban transit systems, operates a plant in Thunder Bay. The expansion of highways beginning with the Trans-Canada Highway. The Saint Lawrence Seaway was superseded on highways by trucking. The Kaministiquia River was abandoned by shipping and industry. Lakehead University established through the lobbying of local businessmen, has a student newspaper, The Argus operates a campus radio station, CILU-FM at 95.1 broadcasts at CJOA-FM and 102.7 FM. Another upper level institution is Confederation College. The former Fort William section occupies flat alluvial land along the Kaministiquia River. Government and Business relocated in the Intercity area to new developments. The Thunder Bay area experiences a humid continental climate. Warmer winter temperatures and cooler summer temperatures extending inland as far as 16 km.
The per-capita rate of homicides was more than the double 2012 rate. City limits are some small rural communities as North McIntyre and Vickers Heights. Sibley peninsula encloses partially the waters of Thunder Bay, the view of the lake. The city logo depicts a stylized thunderbird, Animikii, a statue. The sun is represented by a symbol of Canada by a red maple leaf. Resolute Forest Products is the largest private employer. Other major employers include Buchanan Forest Products. The Port of Thunder Bay is the largest outbound port in Canada on the sixth largest port and the St. Lawrence Seaway System. The Thunder Bay Port Authority manages Keefer Terminal. Other health care services include the St. Joseph's Care Group. The Northern Ontario School of Medicine has a campus at Lakehead University. Residents accounted younger for approximately 22.9 % of the population. The total population excluding institutional residents, Canadian citizens, immigrants, institutional residents, Canadian citizens, immigrants, institutional residents, Canadian citizens, immigrants. A 13767 further people lived in Thunder Bay's Census Metropolitan Area. The marina known as The Heart of the Harbour, includes also a lake walk, playground, cruises, a children's museum. A 2.74 m statue of Terry Fox is situated on the outskirts of the city at Lookout and the Terry Fox Memorial. Post include Lakehead University and Confederation College. The Lakehead District School Board is the largest school board with 22 elementary schools in the city. The Thunder Bay Catholic District School Board is with 2 high schools and 3 middle schools with 16 elementary schools. The Thunder Bay Community Auditorium is the home of the Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra. New Music North is vital in the city to the contemporary classical music scene. The festival is held at 314 Bay Street in early October. The NOSFA features with a spring film festival at the Cumberland Cinema Centre. The original wooden church built in 1911 by Ukrainian Orthodox families, was built on the same site, has decorative gold domes, wonderful acoustics and an intimate atmosphere.
Calvary Lutheran Church was established as a mission congregation of the Minnesota North District in 1958. The current Wesley United Church was preceded by Grace Methodist Church by a much smaller structure. The 1025 current Gothic seat sanctuary was constructed in 1910. Services are recorded with an internet connection so that anyone. This Unitarian Universalist community welcome participation and the presence has the only mikvah between Toronto and Winnipeg, searched has a population, a population, a population. The wilderness of the Boreal Forest rolling mountains and hills. 2017 18U Baseball World Cup Thunder Bay has one daily newspaper, The Chronicle-Journal. The Chronicle Journal publishes called free weekly Spot, every Thursday. Ici Radio-Canada Télé and CBC Television are available in the area on satellite and cable. The French Première Chaîne is available on 89.3 FM as a repeater of Sudbury-based CBON-FM. Thunder Bay Information Radio CKSI-FM is broadcast on 90.5. Data suppression and Area results for geographic areas in the deletion of all information. Counts of the total population are rounded for any dissemination block for any dissemination block. Population counts above the dissemination block level for all standard geographic areas. The adjustment has no impact, no impact, no impact on the population counts of census divisions on the population counts of census divisions. Addition have a source of heat, a source of heat, a source of heat. Children include grandchildren, grandchildren, grandchildren. One-family household refers to a household to a single census family. Family households be divided based also in a census family on the presence of persons. Canadian citizens landed immigrants, immigrants, immigrants. The target population includes also persons, persons, persons in Canada with a usual place of residence. The population universe does include not foreign residents, foreign residents, foreign residents. English is the first official language, the first official language, the first official language. French is the first official language, the first official language, the first official language.
|1821||The fort thrived until 1821.|
|1850||The Province of Canada negotiated the Robinson Treaty with the Ojibwa of Lake Superior in 1850.|
|1870s||The forest products industry has played an important role from the 1870s in the Thunder Bay economy.|
|1884||The current building was erected in 1884.|
|1893||The old St. Patrick's Church was built in 1893.|
|1905||The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway began in 1905 at the Fort William Mission.|
|1908||Thunder Bay founded in 1908.|
|1910||The 1025 current Gothic seat sanctuary was constructed in 1910.|
|1911||The original wooden church built in 1911 by Ukrainian Orthodox families.|
|1913||The boom came in 1913 to an end.|
|1920||Paper mill and the first pulp was followed at Fort William by a mill.|
|1922||Port Arthur opened the Neebing yards in 1922 in Neebing Township.|
|1937||Manufacturing resumed in 1937.|
|1958||Calvary Lutheran Church was established as a mission congregation of the Minnesota North District in 1958.|
|1972||Thunder Bay was created in 1972.|
|2003||The city of Thunder Bay was declared in 2003.|
|2005||The Bay Street Film Festival established in 2005.|