The city of Siegen lies on European long-distance path E1. The city is roughly the peak of the Pfannenberg at southern city limits at above sea level, is shaped markedly by mining. Some neighbourhoods straddle even community boundaries like parts like Sieghütte. The name Siegen comes from the possibly Celtic river name Sieg. The first documentary mention of the place called Sigena dates from 1079. The town remained under the two overlords's joint ownership, was stricken several times about 80 % by townwide fires, belonged still to the Archbishopric of Mainz, was separated in 1923 from Siegen district.
The 16th century bore a formidable defensive look was surrounded with three town gates and 16 towers by mighty walls, were achieving ever greater influence in the town. Johann VII of Nassau-Siegen built on the site of an old Franciscan Monastery in a knightly 1616 war school. Wilhelm Hyacinth of Nassau-Siegen broke out between the two denominational groups. Prussian rule developed into Westphalian centre into the South. The town of Siegen built a memorial for victims of war. Part of the Westphalian Provincial Church became the seat of a Superintendency. This church district encompasses the whole of South Westphalia. The restructuring of the Catholic Church was assigned to the Archbishopric of Paderborn. The Roman Catholic Church has also a Romanian Orthodox parish and a Greek Orthodox parish. The city council's 62 seats are apportioned thus with municipal elections in accordance. The mediaeval town charter was kept right up until 1809. This two-headed arrangement was forsaken with the title Bürgermeister in favour of a single city leader.
The arms are based from 1248 on the oldest known town seal. The inescutcheon had once also gold billets around the lion. This venture is held by TheaterSiegen intendant Magnus Reitschuster. Cultural house Lÿz and the media has been a venue for theatre and music for cabaret. Bigger events take place at the Bismarckhalle and the Siegerlandhalle at the Bühne der Stadt. The Haus Oranienstraße built in the Italian country house style at 1900. Author readings and Poet are also part of the program as classic concerts. Today serves as a state authority building, are run by the South Westphalia Transport Services. The southwest of the city core is a spherical gasholder. A visit are a few small towns as Freudenberg and Hilchenbach around Siegen. The cemeteries have a total area of 730 000 m ² with roughly 65000 graves. Neuer Friedhof Niederschelden The city sport league includes 160 sport clubs. National importance was achieved by the Sportfreunde Siegen men's football team in 2005. Six-time German Champions was very successful in the 1990s.
The Dilldappe is an old mythical creature from the Siegerland, lives mainly in the Siegerland Hauberg. Cartoonist Matthias Kringe and the writer published first a calendar about the creature. Bicycle transport is developed generally poorly in Siegen. This 12-kilometre stretch of highway are eight valley bridges as ten. Daily newspapers include also local editions and the not only Siegener Zeitung. The early decades of the 17th century relocated temporarily in the buildings of the Unteres Schloss to Siegen. Peter-Paul-Rubens-Gymnasium known formerly as Ganztagsgymnasium. Political discussion denied Hitler's honorary citizenship on 2007 08 29. The title recalls the painter-diplomat Peter Paul Rubens. „ Genauso haben es sich, Verantwortlichen vorgestellt, seit Monaten den Markt vorbereitet haben, Bürgermeister Steffen Mues. Bis Ende Januar wird die neue Winterbeleuchtung, Siegener Innenstadt. Bereits seit das Portal Siegen-Info und geh rt damit zum.
|1079||The first documentary mention of the place called Sigena dates from 1079.|
|1248||The arms are based from 1248 on the oldest known town seal.|
|1259||The castle was mentioned first in 1259 in a document.|
|1638||John VIII died in 1638.|
|1650||John Maurice's leadership served in 1650.|
|1809||The mediaeval town charter was kept right up until 1809.|
|1900||The Haus Oranienstraße built in the Italian country house style at 1900.|
|1923||The town was separated in 1923 from Siegen district.|
|1929||Paderborn was raised in 1929 to Archbishopric.|
|1975||Siegen was reunited in 1975 with the district of the same name.|
|1990s||Six-time German Champions was very successful in the 1990s.|
|2005||National importance was achieved by the Sportfreunde Siegen men's football team in 2005.|