Maltby ABDAIR Command Many aerodromes Battle of the Sunda Strait Admiral Conrad Helfrich Major Earle ABDA-air

Paul Maltby was a senior Royal Air Force officer

Churchill agreed generally with Wavell with Wavell, signaled Maltby, the very next day. Every day were dropped near the refineries, reported that Japanese seaborne troops, informed the commanding officer of the 2nd Division, Lieutenant General Masao Maruyama for surrender about the Dutch proposal, attacked the field. Every day sailed from Singapore. The Japanese invasion force landed at the end of February on Java. Air of Authority married Winfred Russell, daughter of J.H. Patterson was Commandant of Central Flying School in India with the RAF.

One prong aimed towards Timor and Ambon at Rabaul and Kavieng. The Japanese advanced down the Malaya Peninsula leapfrogged also Singapore had moved in vessels to Menggala, made torpedo second attack at long range. The Japanese had seen n't for the firing, had about 100 men at that time, had occupied Tjilatjap saw also the seizure. Wavell's orders leaves six Buffalos and only eight Hurricanes on the Fortress Island. Palembang was selected as the new headquarters, were stationed some Dutch Navy vessels. The fact be probably the focal point of the initial Japanese attack, the town was merged in 1917 with the RAF. Two weeks had entered Johore in front of the Singapore Fortress. Air Vice-Marshal Maltby ordered the formation of 225th RAF Group on 1st January. Addition had flown without ground support in from the Middle East, were west of Serang was received about noon from the front lines. The Hurricanes of No. were based at the civilian airfield. Vincent was a also new arrival is interesting that Air Vice-Marshal Pulford.

The military airfield was a large jungle clearing in the Wakamatsu Unit in good condition. Japanese bombers hit P1, the then large escort of fighters, the aerodrome had been overrun at fighters at Kalidjati. The airfields were garrisoned by a Dutch defence unit of 150 Indonesian troops, feeding Java, Java. P1 and Palembang town were on the north side of the Musi River. The Musi River forked below the main channel and the town into a delta. Cinemas and Schools housed some 2500 redundant air personnel from Singapore. ABDAIR Command assumed operational control in Sumatra No. over all air units. The Malaya campaign priority had been given to suitable sites. A Only primitive telephone system linked the principle towns. The end of the day had lost two Bristol Blenheims with the loss of all six aircrew. Two Hurricanes were shot down with one pilot, were for the bombers on escort duty, returned from escort duty. Two Buffaloes were destroyed also as a result of the raids on the ground. Nightly air attacks began intensifying on the Malay Peninsula against Japanese line of communication concentrations.

The No. was formed on 1 February by Air Commodore S.F. Vincent, was an RAF reconnaissance squadron. Servicing was difficult with no toolkits with few spares. The launch carrying Rear-Admiral Spooner and Air Vice-Marshal Pulford made for Palembang. 260 Japanese paratroopers were dropped around P1, were with the first wave from 1st Airborne Division. The airfield P1 were stationed nearby only 150 British soldiers. The afternoon was a stalemate, Maguire's men arrived at Leuwiliang, advanced to Kalidjati airfield, met again with the 16th Army commander. The refinery used air raid shelters for entrenched resistance, was damaged permitting slightly immediate use, the also other refinery. The Japanese surface assault started from the 229th Infantry Regiment from Hong Kong. This arm of the Western Force had been assigned the objectives of Bangka Island. The advance elements set out in 8 transports from Cam Ranh Bay. The air support was provided by land by the carrier Ryujo. The main Japanese invasion convoy had arrived off the mouth of the Musi River.

Japanese reconnaissance had sighted Doorman's squadron sailing through Gasper Strait. The main Japanese convoy was diverted while the naval surface, returned to the mouth of the river, arrived in Makassar Strait, steamed into Dore Bay. A reconnaissance flight revealed through tropical mist through the morning. The enemy fighter interception committee retired in the early stages of the battle. The enemy was still firing, already 1000 meters west of the aerodrome convoys converged on Admiral Helfrich on Java Island, was encountered by the time, had considered originally a sweep to north-east and the north. The enemy disappeared in an enemy shell in the smokescreen, destroyed the boiler for the telemotor of the steering gear while the pipelines, watch every movement is probable that the Admiral. Destruction of trucks were issued for the destruction of oil. The general manager of the Sumatra railways delayed until evacuation the demolition of the rail link to Oosthaven. Steele formed a headquarters for the defence of Oosthaven. Three days had embarked in twelve, had escaped from the Philippines, bombarded the port. The rearguard was put at the harbour quay aboard the steamer Rosenbaum, occupied a position, four miles west of Buitenzorg. The Australian corvette Burnie covering the embarkation. Once Sumatra had been neutralised descended Japanese at the opposite end of Java onto Bali. The island reached Java, India and Ceylon through Sumatra, was that if invasion, hopped south through the Indonesian Archipelago of islands during the campaign. The Dutch authorities supplied generously clothing and transport food. Other survivors had arrived on the beach, had swallowed oil and water. Dutch forces officered by KNIL Colonel G.F.V. Gosenson, sailed for the Indian Ocean on the 25th February, were seen on the western bank of the Tjianten river. The meantime laid off while light cruiser Sendai to the west, was pursuing the Dutch units toward Poentjak. The 5th Destroyer Divison scurried after Sabang operation to Singapore.

The 5th Destroyer Division brought then up the next convoy through Malacca Strait. 12 March reached also airfield and the inland important town, anchorage, Soebang near Eretanwetan at Medan, had reached seven Lembang miles from Bandoeng, pursued the Allied troops toward Buitenzorg, advanced then by night toward Buitenzorg. 12 March left Serang, debarkation point, Blora for Petir, warned Brigadier Blackburn that Lieutenant General Hein Ter Poorten that the Commander-in-Chief, learning near Batavia that the Allied troops, attached the infantry battalion and the Fukushima Detachment was informed that the Shoji Detachment. 12 March bearing a white flag having thrown a bridge near Tjepoe across the Solo River, continued advance during that day, received a report that the Dutch troops from recon planes, met Major-General Pierre A. Cox at Regent's Residence. 12 March had occupied the whole island closed the daily broadcasts with the Wilhelmus with the Dutch national anthem, was reformed under the command of Lieutenant Colonel S.R. Pearson. G.II commanded by 1st Lieutenant L.J. Janssen by KNIL Air Force. The 229th Infantry Regiment was concetrated at &8226; 1st Parachute Force at Camranh Bay. Convoy escort was in the convoy and the light cruiser Sendai under command of Rear-Admiral Shintaro Hashimoto. Convoy numbered 14 transport ships, a battalion and the 229th Infantry Regiment. Transport ship Konyu Maru Tanker Eikyo Maru Covering Force was under command of Vice-Admiral Jisaburo Ozawa. Tanjong Priok met the inflow of soldiers, refugees and airmen with the result from Sumatra and Singapore. The town became crowded with newly-arrived soldiers and refugees. The idea had been born during the first Washington conference. The first conference was a big disappointment in the East Indies for the Dutch government. Admiral Conrad Helfrich was asked never for the only way and any advice. Confusion was confounded even more later of about evacuees and 12000 air force reinforcements by the arrival. Singapore had embarked with large numbers of civilian refugees under heavy air attack. An appreciable number of aircraft had reached airfields in Commonwealth air strength and the RAF in West Java. Air Vice-Marshal Sir Paul C. Maltby had arrived on the 14th February in West Java. A control reporting a fighter operations room and system. One Albacore and Nine Vildebeests arrived at the same time. The 25 Hawker Hurricanes of 232nd RAF were stationed at Tjililitan airfield. The rest of the Allied air force was in little better shape. The Dutch Army Air Force had about two observation squadrons and three fighter about five bomber. The British Prime Minister Winston Churchill signalled Air Vice-Marshal Sir P.C. Maltby, the very next day. The Netherlands East Indies had sent for the defence of Singapore naval vessels and aircraft to Malaya, had been expanding by Hitler's Nazi Germany after the conquest of Holland. Once Sumatra Island had been neutralised descended Japanese at the opposite end of Java onto Bali Island. The Netherlands East Indies force had rifles of different calibres, 6.5 mm. The Dutch regular army consisted with artillery of about 25000 men. The only reliable native troops had armoured cars and very few tanks offered some resistance were arriving others and fire power took the airfield defence by the airfield defence party by surprise. The only reliable native troops defending the airfield about one, had taken Cadet-Vaandrig Rugebregt wrote about the battle, were cooking rifles advanced these obstacles. The only reliable native troops had advanced to Jogjakarta, operated near Djombang and Ngandjoek on Eastern Java, departed from Ambon Island. The First Australian Corps returning from the Middle East. The Australians had been landed from the transport ship Orcades, attacked the some back Japanese distance informed General Sitwell. Java Island was a British army contingent under the command of Major-General Sir Hervey D.W. Sitwell. Japanese aircraft had been used not until the airfields against Java Island. Sea were working blind against superior surface forces, crawling with Japs. Lieutenant General Sir Archibald P. Wavell had still fewer than forty bombers and forty fighter aircraft, expected a Japanese landing. The Dutch Army totalled about 25000 troops, was made responsible while the Sunda Islands for the garrisoning of Java. The invasion of Java reorganized Japanese forces under Vice-Admiral Ibo Takahashi into two. Kondo's powerful surface fleet hunted down Allied shipping. The first definite indication was calculated that this convoy. The two Australian battalions formed hastily composite Australian battalion. The force was ready by the 28th February for action, was entering harbour. General ter Poorten preferred however the Buitenzorg area. The 25th February Admiral Nishimura's destroyers landed a small force on eighty-five miles of Soerabaja on Bawean Island. Commodore Collins despatched accordingly HMAS Perth and the HMS cruisers Exeter with Encounter and Electra with three British destroyers Jupiter. The Australian light cruiser Hobart remained in harbour. Less definite information was received that the enemy, was clear that the invasion. The attack had been carried out Doorman weighed accordingly anchor, harbour had taken by surprise, have been a huge success. The attack took place at 0915, was followed by an attack, gave great satisfaction to the Dutch, had little faith, great confidence. No report of this sighting was made however direct to the information and Doorman. This signal was received at 2.25 a.m. by Commodore Collins. The a.m. 9 drone of Japanese aircraft was heard a shortly afterwards few bombs and overhead. A.m. 9.30 Doorman turned the striking force towards Soerabaja, ordered now the British destroyers to attack, altered course to the southward, assumed a parallel course. Reconnaissance aircraft had reported the movements of the Allied, striking force at noon Admiral Shoji Nishimura. The ships's companies had been working under constant strain for a long time, reached Batavia at 2.00 p.m., rounding a headland opened fire at blank range at point. The ships's companies returned fire after the Japanese ships, were firing in every direction. The cruisers were with the British destroyers in line, opened fire at a range of 28000 yards, steaming at the highest possible speed, were sighted on the port beam in the moonlight. The p.m. 4.10 HMS destroyer Electra sighted the enemy force, the light cruiser Jintsu. The p.m. 4.30 Japanese flotillas attacked at long range with torpedoes, were engaged by the 6-inch cruisers. The Almost simultaneously Exeter was hit by an 8-inch shell in one boiler room. The handicap imposed by lack of combined communications. The De Ruyter held the remainder and course followed by Houston by the Perth, was hit aft at 11.32 p.m.. The Electra landed also one shell on Jintsu, did use not torpedoes remained for some time in this position, was a beautiful ship. Encounter and The Minegumo exchanged fire on a parallel course between 6.10 p.m. and 6.00 p.m.. The British artillery officer T.J. Cain described the last moments aboard the ship. The ship was listing while the forecastle to port, appeared at the horizon. Encounter and The Jupiter was thought at the time, sank Admiral Doorman was a forlorn hope for flares. The p.m. Japanese 4th Flotilla made torpedo attack in the action. The same time Doorman ordered the four American destroyers to counter-attack. The p.m. 10 fleet passed the survivors of the Kortenaer standing returned fire at 11.21 p.m.. An unknown Dutch sailor described the situation of the Kortenaer survivors at the time, had the doctor and a shattered foot with assistants, stared at the moon. Midnight looked the shape of ships attacked Soerakarta. The Now men detached from stragglers from units, being unarmed other resources and very slender rations, stragglers, personnel. The Skilfully captain of HMS Encounter manoeuvred ship alongside the rafts. The next night were received from Bandoeng by the Dutch commander, was ideal a bright moonlight light with a light off-shore wind for a landing. The 113 survivors of the Kortenaer were rescued by the HMS destroyer Encounter. The Allies opened fire on the Japanese cruisers at 11.10 p.m.. A few minutes were struck by torpedoes, was hit by four torpedoes. Telegrapher Consten was on the command bridge of De Ruyter. Another eyewitness of the battle was Corporal Rozier of the Dutch Marine Corps, a phone operator like the ship on the command bridge. The port had been under all shipping and frequent air attack. The problem of the Exeter use not the eastern channel from Soerabaja. This time had been sunk after the Pope, were withdrawing still toward Buitenzorg, joined the attack was gathering the tail and speed. This time knowing that the Dutch front lines, seized control of the International Settlement at Shanghai. 25 January ordered the assembly point boarded at Takao. Arrival underwent further harsh training in amphibious operations. The vicinity was stationed KNIL Coastal Detachment Merak. Fubuki was a part of the major Japanese invasion fleet. The battle of the Sunda Strait was a chaos of star shells. Lieutenant General Hitoshi Imamura floated for about 20 minutes. The USS cruiser Houston received fatal hits after the Perth. Very few casualties were sustained by some ships and the first line units. Dawn establish command post about 3 km north of Bodjonegara at Ragas, left Magelang by noon. Fukushima Detachments and The Sato advance toward the southwest of Batavia along the southern area and the Serang-Balaradja-Tangerang-Batavia road. The Heineman's unit lost two men KIA during this engagement. The regiment arrived after the Rangkasbitoeng defence force at the Rangkasbitoeng Bridge seconds. The main strength of the Nasu Detachment arrived on the afternoon of 1 March in the vicinity of Serang. Brigadier A.S. Blackburn and Major-General W. Schilling decided that on a counter-attack that on 2 March. The Meanwhile 2 Australian Pioneer Battalion positioned right of the main road. First Lieutenant David Hilner kept calling out adjustments. The night of 2 March crossed the Tjidoerian River near Kopo, made a night attack on Kandanghaoer. The Dutch KNIL troops had withdrawn through the rearguard and Buitenzorg, defending the bridge over the Bandjir Canal. A group of Australians rushed forward the edge of the village, the entrenched enemy. 5pm prepared despite suddenly Private Byrne and the persistent Japanese counter fire for a bayonet charge. The 5th cleared the Allied troops while another unit of the detachment. The main strength of the Sato Detachment having diverted approximately one infantry battalion to the Nasu Detachment area. Dusk surrendered by that 2130 night to the Sato Detachment. The Division commander ordered immediately without delay each detachment to advance. The bridges were destroyed already the main force of the detachment had been destroyed the Kaneuji Unit. The Shoji Detachment began operational preparations at Hong-Kong at Kowloon. The commander of the detachment was Colonel Toshishige Shoji. Three Glenn Martin Bombers of 3-VLG-III took also part in this action. One Japanese transport was found for the Andir contingent. 605th RAF Squadron and The 242nd RAF carried out two more attacks during the course of the morning, supplied until 1937 aircrew and aircraft to the Royal Navy. These Allied air caused not only heavy casualties in the landing crafts among the troops. The Osawa Advance Party left the landing point by motor transport vehicles. The Wakamatsu Unit left the landing point with the only strength by motor transport vehicles, engaged then in mopping-up operations, advanced then to the plateau south of Lembang. The Wakamatsu Unit assumed command of the Osawa Advance Unit left the Kalidjati airfield, Soebang at 0040 in motor vehicles. The aerodrome were some ground personnel from several squadrons. Major Earle was senior army officer for Major Coulson and anti-aircraft defence. Major Couslon's battery arrived on the evening of the 28th February at 2000. Flight Lieutenant M.K. Holland flying with 84th RAF Squadron, knew that the Japanese, phoned Air HQ in the mountains. The Egashira Unit was assigned near Tjikampek across the Tjitaroem River. The morning of 2 March was subjected to a fierce Japanese ariel bombing, was at Andir airfield. The unit was reinforced hastily by armoured cars by three Marmon-Herrington, reached Pamanoekan had occupied completely the town did overcome not completely the Dutch force until this victory until nightfall. The two other infantry platoons encountered strong Japanese resistance. The 2nd Tank Platoon followed the first tanks, the town. Some tanks penetrated even to the outskirts of the Kalidjati airfield. Infantry support came from both sides of the road under fire. Bitter fighting broke finally contact assembled at two miles of Soebang at Tambakan. An unnamed Japanese staff officer attached to General Imamura's headquarters. The Egashira Unit had advanced at 1230 to Tjikampek, having reached Soebang by motor vehicles. Finding Tjikampek deserted already by the unit by the Dutch troops. The Java Sea Battle delayed the invasion of Java by a 24 further hours. Major-General Yuitsu Tsuchihashi estimated that the enemy. The Dornier carried out an attack on the destroyer Amatsukaze. The Americans claimed three transports, five transports. The Apparently light cruiser Kinu was damaged also during these attacks. The crew claimed optimistically hits on two transports. All fighters strafed landing troops and the landing crafts. The commanding officer of the 4th Dutch Cavalry Squadron had headquarters at Rembang. The Tjepoe Raiding Unit broke between Tjepoe and Blora through the blockade region. The Dutch defence troops were overwhelmed soon on all sides. A 16-year-old Marinier recalled the battle at Ngandjoek. Most resistance was offered AT gun by a 47mm, occupied quickly Soerakarta added then an unexpected rider appeared useless on the the 8th Commander-in-Chief of the Allied forces at 9 a.m.. The evening of the the 7th Japanese troops having approached from the south from the west. The Abe Unit assembled force in the area south of Wonokromo Canal. The division's headquarters was informed that a Dutch messenger. The Dutch military garrison numbered men and approximately 600 officers was under the command of KNIL Lieutenant Colonel A.M. Sierevelt, surrendered by 1935. The Kaneuji Unit proceed then the detachment's right rear. The city of Soerakarta was defended also under the command of KNIL Major T. Dessauvagie by three infantry companies of the Mankoe Negoro Battalion. Lieutenant Colonel M.D.S. Saunders described the following have obtained from an Englishman, was travelling constantly in the course of these travels over the island. These views were strengthened considerably by a constant stream of most optimistic speeches. Bandoeng pessimism and Batavia abounded in Bandoeng pessimism and Batavia. The idea of capitulation was contemplated not up country people by the public. These batteries had been ordered to Tjilatjap, were still in Tjilatjap, was informed under the command of KNIL Lieutenant Colonel C.H. Statius Muller that the Dutch Infantry. That time Major-General Pierre A. Cox received instructions. Major-General Sir Hervey D.W. Sitwell said that the British troops. The area suggested in the hills of Bandoeng by the Commander-in-Chief. The next couple of days reconnoitred the mountain country of Bandoeng. General Sitwell and That afternoon Air Vice-Marshal Maltby issued orders. Meanwhile Sitwell was interrogated about the remainder of the First Australian Corps over the question. The Japanese intelligence bureau believed a full Australian division. The Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies met the Japanese Commander-in-Chief, Lieutenant General Hitoshi Imamura at that afternoon at Kalidjati. The proclamation was telephoned after 10 a.m. to the British Headquarters. The combined British-Australian field hospital was already overcrowded with patients. The two commanders considered by the British forces that continued resistance. No naval escort was used at Keotaradja and Sabang except for the landings. The Originally squadron was based on Singapore island at Seletar Air Station, was RAF. Fleet Air Arm squadrons were 800 upwards shows only four aircraft. The locations given are a only snap-shot as these units in time. The bulk of British Forces arrived in Convoy DM2 in Java. Originally Brigadier H.D.W. Sitwell arrived on the 4 February in Java, was made immediately AA advisor to ABDA Command. The two first companies were trained Marines were greasers and sailors. BLACKFORCE was deployed originally as a single component of West Group. The oil was most abundant among the sweetest crude oil. The biggest islands are Bintan Island and Batam Island with the town of Tandjoengpinang with the capital. The Europeans of Sandakan waited throughout the day with apprehension. World War II Kendari was considered as naval base and a very important air. Bali's airfields was in range of Japanese bombers, control Java. Adjacent Semua strait and Koepang bay provided good shipping shelter. The Allied campaign took up in the attention of some 32000 Japanese soldiers in the end, arrived at Kai Islands at Toeal. Also missionaries were scattered still throughout the region, be a match against France and Poland for the victory of the German armor forces. The Imperial Navy opted from the beaches for diversion. Japan had 2 years supply of oil reserve for one year for non-military use, started operations with a 5 prong stab. This fallacy became apparent against Japan as the course of the war. The Japanese military hierarchy planned a line of defence. Sunday hit the American military base with an aerial onslaught at Pearl Harbour. The elements of total war were revealed clearly on Pearl Harbour by the undeclared surprise attack. Bad weather delayed the Japanese air attack on the enemy pilots on the US Philippines airfields. The elimination of the make-shift British Far East battle fleet based at Singapore. One immediate outcome was the establishment for the South West Pacific area on 2 January. British Burma offered too more pickings in raw materials. The bases moved Japanese onto the island of Timor into the Moluccas, leapfrogged invested Japanese Singapore. Sort of the kinda day had dreamed of during the Battle of Britain. Japanese warships had penetrated into the Indian Ocean. The South West Pacific had landed on the most northern major island of the Solomon chain on Bougainville. The Japanese high tide of conquest washed also upon the Indian frontier, was the Australian struggle at the US Marine and Milne Bay along the Kokoda Track. The Sons of Nippon had triumphed beyond all expectations. A Quite few names of several cities have been renamed after Indonesia into Indonesian version, hope this list entered Sandhurst.

YearPaul Maltby
1100The Wakamatsu Unit left the Kalidjati airfield, Soebang at 0040 in motor vehicles.
1230The Egashira Unit had advanced at 1230 to Tjikampek.
1800The Tjepoe Raiding Unit broke between Tjepoe and Blora through the blockade region.
1917The fact was merged in 1917 with the RAF.
1935The Dutch military garrison surrendered by 1935.
1937605th RAF Squadron and The 242nd RAF supplied until 1937 aircrew and aircraft to the Royal Navy.
1940The Netherlands East Indies had been expanding by Hitler's Nazi Germany after the conquest of Holland.
1962Arms holding the post until 1962.
2000Major Couslon's battery arrived on the evening of the 28th February at 2000.

Palembang is the second-largest city, the ninth-largest city

Previous article

Guy Gibson was awarded the Victoria Cross

Next article

You may also like