Oldham formed later a township within the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Prestwich-cum-Oldham, has been twinned in Slovenia with Kranj, has an area, league cricket teams, a Fencing Club, Marshall Fencing Club, a Competitive Fencing Club, night club culture and a thriving bar, a significant number of young people with a number of semi-professional league clubs, had thriving economy during the local merchants during the 19th century, contains the highest concentration of retailing, employment and cultural facilities in the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham.
Oldham has been redeveloped extensively during the last few decades, have been developed in Oldham, has been never on canals and a main-line railway route, train three times, a week at the old South Chadderton High School, produced someone. Historically was a boomtown of the Industrial Revolution. The demise of textile processing depressed the local economy. Today Oldham is a centre and a predominantly residential town for further education. The town was made part of a parliamentary borough, a Borough in the 1858 Borough Council in 1832, has listed building s was in poor law Union in Rochdale. Bronze Age and an ancient Roman road is confirmed by archaeological relics by Bronze Age and an ancient Roman road. The 13th century was documented as a manor, was a popular entertainment in Oldham. The production process is the origin of the term was not until the last quarter of the 18th century. A result played no part in the initial period of the Industrial Revolution. 30 % of Oldham overtook the major urban centres of Manchester.
A 1863 committee had been formed from central government with aid. The Platt Brothers originated in nearby Dobcross village, were pioneers of cotton-spinning machinery, innovative products, keen investors at one time in the local area, became the largest textile machine makers in the world. The centre of the company lay in Werneth at the New Hartford Works. The main building exists to this day, has housed the vast majority of the local government. Platts gained prestigious awards from around the world. A bronze statue of Platt existed for years in the town centre. Abraham Henthorn Stott was born in 1822 in Crompton and nearby Shaw, served a seven-year apprenticeship with Sir Charles Barry. Philip Sydney Stott titled later as 1st Baronet as Sir Philip Stott, established own practice in 1883. Textile-related engineering declined with the processing industry. Part of the original Hollinwood site was operated by Semiconductor divisions and Siemens Metering. The remainder of the site is occupied by Mirror Colour.
The back of the Industrial Revolution developed an extensive coal mining sector. The Oldham Coalfield stretched from Royton, was the site of over 150 collieries. The mines were around Werneth and Hollinwood to the southwest of the town. Today are boreholes and disused shafts has large communities from Bangladesh with heritage. The people of Oldham became radical in the early part of the 19th century in politics. Oldham Women's Suffrage Society was established with Margery Lees in 1910. Co-operative movements and The Chartist had strong support in the town. Asian communities and local White British broke out in the town. Particular intensity were the racially worst motivated riots in the United Kingdom. Similar riots took place in northern England in other towns. The historic county boundaries of Lancashire was recorded in 1212. Oldham Below Town and Oldham Above Town were from 1851. 1951 parts of the Limehurst Rural District were added in 1954 further parts of the same district to the County Borough of Oldham.
The boundaries of two parliamentary constituencies divide Oldham. A parliamentary borough were John Fielden and the radicals William Cobbett. Winston Churchill began political career in Oldham, made inaugural acceptance speech from the steps of the town hall. The geology of Oldham is represented by Coal Measures series and the Millstone Grit. The territory of Oldham is contiguous on all sides with other towns. The M60 motorway passes through a heavy rail line and Hollinwood through the southwest of Oldham. A manor was the home of a Royalist family in the 17th century. Indian subcontinent and the Caribbean settled throughout the Oldham borough. Cultural divisions are strong with cohesion and poor cross-community integration within the town. The following is a table, the population change of the town. The deindustrialisation of Oldham have been replaced by publishing by home shopping. An industrial district is home to the Northern Counties Housing Association. The Spindles is a modern shopping centre with over banks with over 40 retailers, houses. Yates Wine Lodge was founded by Simon Yates and Peter in Oldham. The political centre of the town has stood empty since the mid-1980s. The Oldham War Memorial Committee was unveiled by General Sir Ian Hamilton. The Civic Centre tower is the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham. The summit of the town was designed by Partners and Cecil Howitt. The Oldham Parish Church of St. Mary was designed by Richard Lane in the Gothic Revival Style, has been designated as a Grade II by English Heritage, was linked with the Virgin with the church of St Mary. The rapid growth of the local population warranted that the building. The geography of Oldham constrained the development of major transport infrastructure with the former County Borough Council. The roof canopy is supported internally on two rows of steel trees. The canal was used mainly for the haulage of coal, included a two-rise lock staircase and four aqueducts. Oldham Roughyeds Rugby League Club was established as Oldham Athletic Association Football Club and Oldham Football Club in 1876.
Oldham Athletic have achieved cup successes and both league in the 1990s under Joe Royle, were Football League runners-up before the outbreak of the First World War in the last season, reached the Football League Cup in 1990. Oldham Borough was established as Oldham Dew FC in 1964. The team played in 2015 in the North West Counties Football League. Every Almost part of Oldham is served with religious affiliations by a school of some kind. University Campus Oldham is a centre for a sister campus and higher education, was opened by actor Patrick Stewart in 2005 05, presented artist and actress Shobna Gulati, Brian Clarke with an Honorary Doctorate of Letters. Public transport is co-ordinated by the Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive. Rescue service and Statutory emergency fire is provided by Rescue Service and the Greater Manchester Fire. General and Oldham District occupying the site of the town. The North West Ambulance Service provides emergency patient transport. Waste management is co-ordinated via the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority by the local authority. The Lyceum is a Grade II, building continued as a centre throughout the 20th century. Music had been always important in a 1892 school of music in the life of the Lyceum. The 1989 Oldham Metropolitan Borough Music Centre moved into the Lyceum building. Later phases of the development saw the opening of an extended Oldham Library, a lifelong learning centre. The annual Oldham Carnival started although the tradition of carnivals around 1900. The carnival parade was held always for charities in mid-to-late summer, featured often popular entertainers and local dignitaries. The carnival's route began in the town centre, was reinstated by volunteers. The event hosts live other activities and stages in the park alongside a parade. Edward Potts was a renowned architect, the architect in the Oldham area for fourteen mills. Notable musicians include the Inspiral Carpets, Mark Owen and N-Trance. Www.genuki.org.uk including historic descriptions and genealogical data. Civil parish and Oldham township was in Prestwich in Lancashire. 1826 commissioners were established for the improvement of the town. Civil parish and This township was in Manchester in Lancashire, became, civil parish and This township see TOTTINGTON LOWER END. 1863 Openshaw Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. 1889 part of Droylsden township was added to the township, was included in the area of Bury improvement commissioners. 1872 Orrell Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. The 1894 area of the Local Board became an Urban District, Ramsbottom Urban District, an Urban District, an Urban District was in poor law Union in Bury. The 1974 Urban District became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough, a Borough, a Borough, part of Stockport Borough. 1872 Pemberton Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. Salford townships and Pendleton known formerly as Shoresworth. The 1867 remainder of Pendlebury township was included in civil parish and This township, was in ecclesiastical parish in Eccles, be confused not near Clitheroe with Pendleton township. A very 1961 small part of Eccles Borough was added to the Pendleton area. 1885 part of the township was included in Bury Borough. 1867 Prestwich Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. 1894 Prestwich Urban District was formed from parts of Great Heaton from this area. 1903 part of the Urban District was added to Whitefield Urban District to the City. The 1974 Borough became part of Bury Metropolitan Borough, part of Bury Metropolitan Borough, a County Borough. 1894 Radcliffe Urban District was formed from the area of the Local Board. 1864 Ramsbottom Local Board of Health was formed in Tottington Lower End township for the Ramsbottom area. 1883 parts of Elton were added to the area of the Local Board. 1881 Reddish Local Board of Health was formed for the area of the township. These four townships were in ecclesiastical parish in Rochdale. 1863 Royton Local Board of Health was formed for the area of the township. 1879 part of Thornham township was included within the area of the Local Board. 1851 Rusholme Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. 1882 part of Withington township was included in the area of the Local Board. Technology has transformed the newspaper industry since the &8220; hot metal. Mirror Colour Print Ltd, the printing division of the Trinity Mirror group, 36 titles. The company provides guided periodically tours of the plant pays for space per sq ft. Terry Taylor says with advertising side and the editorial.
|1212||The historic county boundaries of Lancashire was recorded in 1212.|
|1280||A church building had existed since 1280 on the site.|
|1604||Derker was recorded in 1604 as a place of residence.|
|1822||Abraham Henthorn Stott was born in 1822 in Crompton and nearby Shaw.|
|1832||The town was made part of a parliamentary borough, a Borough in the 1858 Borough Council in 1832.|
|1851||Oldham Below Town and Oldham Above Town were from 1851.|
|1852||The Riot Act was read on election day in 1852.|
|1876||Oldham Roughyeds Rugby League Club was established as Oldham Athletic Association Football Club and Oldham Football Club in 1876.|
|1883||Philip Sydney Stott established own practice in 1883.|
|1884||Yates Wine Lodge was founded by Simon Yates and Peter in Oldham.|
|1895||Oldham Roughyeds Rugby League Club was established as Oldham Athletic Association Football Club and Oldham Football Club in 1876.|
|1900||The annual Oldham Carnival started although the tradition of carnivals around 1900.|
|1909||Oldham had more spindles, the highest concentration of chip shops in the world than any country.|
|1910||Oldham Women's Suffrage Society was established with Margery Lees in 1910.|
|1963||The Werneth Incline route closed in 1963.|
|1964||Oldham Borough was established as Oldham Dew FC in 1964.|
|1990||Oldham Athletic reached the Football League Cup in 1990.|
|1990s||Oldham Athletic have achieved cup successes and both league in the 1990s under Joe Royle.|
|1993||Ferranti went in 1993 into receivership.|
|2007||Park Cake Bakeries sold in 2007.|
|2011||The parade was moved in 2011 into Alexandra Park.|
|2015||The team played in 2015 in the North West Counties Football League.|