St. Augustine 1943 1900 1966 1968 History Horgan

Llambias House is a historic house

1874 President Ulysses S. Grant appointed chief justice of the Arizona Territory. The Orange Belt Railroad brought regular shipments of goods. James J. Horgan received a Ph.D. in 1965 in history, came in 1965 to San Antonio, is located at 12221 Main Street at the James J. Horgan Home. The Student Government Association named Outstanding Faculty Member served two terms as Historical Society as president of the Pasco County, was in 1968. Frank P. Bailey was born in 1873, arrived in 1894 on Sanibel Island.

The family bought eventually a plantation store returned to New Switzerland. Bailey co-founded the Sanibel Community Church in 1917. Frank Bailey operated the general store is located at 950 Dunlop Road at the Old Bailey Store. Owen Burns was born in 1869 in Maryland, established the Burns Dredging Company and the Burns Realty Company died in 1937, is located at Sarasota at 401 Burns Court. One time was at one time, built also Sarasota's El Vernona Hotel in 1925. John L. Early graduated from Lee University and Washington in three years, is located at 1841 Oak Street at the John L. Early House. Health reasons was devoted to civil law, served for attorney and six years as school trustee. Arthur Britton Edwards opened insurance office and the first real estate in 1903 in Sarasota, became elected first tax assessor of Sarasota. The creation of Sarasota County was vice president for many years for many years. A. B. Edwards is located at 61 North Pineapple Avenue at the Edwards Theater. John Hamilton Gillespie was born in Dumfrienshire in Maffat, studied law in 1886 in Edinburgh, is located at 1565 First Street at Sarasota City Hall.

The company owned the entire original town site as an 50000 additional acres, was real estate agent and the only attorney until after 1900 in the community, served as a justice of the peace. Gillespie built the DeSoto Hotel, Sarasota's first place. Dr. Joseph Halton was born in Lancashire c. 1881, graduated from Oxford from Miami Medical College, settled in 1907 in Sarasota, is located at 310 Cocoanut Avenue at the Halton House. Higel was Sarasota's first retailer handled land sales for J. Hamilton Gillespie for Sarasota's largest landowner. George Lindsay and David were newspapermen in Sarasota. David Lindsay established the Sarasota Herald in 1925, served until 1938 as the newspaper's publisher. George Lindsay served from 1925 as the editor of the Sarasota Herald, was the author of non-sectarian religious editorials. The Lindsays's Great Floridian plaque is located at 539 South Orange Avenue at the Sarasota Herald Building. Andrew McAnsh born c. 1886, was brought by W. C. Towles to Sarasota, died in 1946, is located at 77 South Palm Avenue at the Mira Mar Apartments.

McAnsh proposed building a hotel, an indoor swimming pool and apartments added an auditorium than the entire Mira Mar complex and a swimming pool. The Mira Mar was Sarasota's premier hotel for the 20 next years. The hotel portion of the complex was demolished in 1983. Thomas Reed Martin was born in Menasha in 1866, came in 1911 to Sarasota, died in 1949, is located at Sarasota at 401 Burns Court. John Ringling's home designed more in the Sarasota area than 500 houses, reflected often modern streamlined forms was the public face of the circus while Charles, was born in MacGregor in 1866. Charles Ringling was born in MacGregor on 1863 12 2, was died on 1926 12 3, is located at 1927 Ringling Boulevard at the Charles Ringling Building. Charles and Both John invested heavily in real estate in Sarasota, took control of the circus. The circus industry was a critical element of Ringling. Marie Selby attended a music in Illinois, were married in 1908, willed as a garden the property to the community, is located at 926 South Palm Avenue at the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.

The Selbys established also Marie Selby Foundation and the William in 1955. Ernest Arthur Smith led in New England, retired in 1921, died in 1962, is located at 801 North Tamiami Trail at the Sarasota Municipal Auditorium. Smith was elected Mayor of Sarasota influenced William G. Warden of Standard Oil served a term in 1841 on the city council. The Great Wallendas were headliners during 1940s and the 1930s with the Ringling Brothers circus. Karl Wallenda is located at 1622 Arlington Street at the Karl Wallenda House. Percy L. Hedgecock was born in North Carolina in 1916, died in 1987, is located at 565 Cassia Boulevard at the Satellite Beach City hall. The City of Satellite Beach was incorporated Hedgecock. Hedgecock was a member of service organizations, the Brevard County United Appeal and the Lions Club assisted with the founding of Brevard Engineering College. President Theodore Roosevelt issued an Executive Order. Kroegal was appointed the first National Wildlife Refuge warden in America, held this position until 1926. Paul Kroegal is located at Riverview Park at the Paul Kroegal Memorial Statue. Margaret Shippen Roebling was born in Bernardsville in 1867. The 8,140-acre Highlands Hammock State Park opened in 1931 to the public. Mrs. Roebling's Great Floridian plaque is located at Highlands Hammock State Park in front of an interpretive display. Dr. Andrew Anderson was born in 1839 in St. Augustine, received medical degree in 1865 from Princeton University, wintered until 1895 in St. Augustine. Anderson became a close friend of Henry Flagler in 1888, contributed the Carrera marble lions. Dr. Anderson died in 1924, is located at 102 King Street at Markland, constructed the Hotel Ponce in 1888 de Leon. Frank B. Butler born in 1885 in Georgia, operated a grocery store beginning in 1914, developed the College Park subdivision was the only African-American citizen. Frank B. Butler died in 1973, is located at 87A Washington Street at the Butler House. The St. Augustine artist colony was discontinued in 1902.

Earl Cunningham was born in 1893 in Maine, moved in 1949 to St. Augustine, included paintings of th 20 early century schooners died in 1977. Mr. Cunningham's work be seen at 900 E. Princeton St. at the Mennello Museum of American Folk Art. Thirty years has received more than 300 Cunningham paintings, is located de Leon Boulevard at 1080 North Ponce. Louisa Fatio was born on the family's 10,000-acre plantation, died in 1875, is located at 22 Aviles Street at the Ximenez-Fatio House. Miss Fatio purchased property in 1855 at 22 Aviles Street. Visitors included Abijah Gilbert, Reconstruction senator from nieces and Florida. Henry Morrison Flagler was born in New York in Hopewell, died in 1913, is located at 74 King Street at Flagler College. Flagler crowned career accepted the not cash and the land. Walter B. Fraser born in Georgia in Flowery Branch, died in 1972, is located at 14 St. George Street at the Oldest School House. Research was undertaken properties donated the statues of Ponce de Pedro Menendez and Leon. Nina Hawkins was born at Lake George in 1889, died in 1972, is located at 158 Cordova Street at the St. Augustine Record Building. That capacity co-founded the Florida Women's Press Club, a founder of the St. Augustine Art Association. Martin Johnson Heade was born in Bucks County in 1819, died in 1904, was overlooked largely until 1945, is located de Leon Studios at the Ponce. Lewis established Flagler College, an independent liberal arts college in 1968 in St. Augustine, was the president was made, the highest honor. The college is housed de Leon in the former Hotel Ponce, included scholarships, new buildings and endowments. The University of Virginia established later the Lewis Chair in Architecture. Lawerence Lewis died in 1995, is located at 18 Valencia Street at the Lewis House. The Mexican War spent eight years in the West with the U. S. Army. Dr. Luella Day McConnell was born in Baltimore in 1870, was practicing physician in Chicago, was outspoken in officials and the territorial government about corruption and graft. Albert Manucy born in 1910, died in 1997, is located at 1 Castillo Drive at the National Park Service Administration Building. Murat came to St. Augustine, joined lodge Masonic a bondsman of the city treasurer. Francisco Pellicer was born around 1747 in Minorca, was is located at 53 St. George Street at the Pellicer House. Pellicer was in St. Augustine, bought land on present-day Orange Street, served also as a national director of the American Forestry Association for seven years. Xavier Lopez Pellicer attended the Rutgers School of Banking served as president of the Rotary Club, died in 1990, is located at 31 St. Francis Street at the Llambias House. The restoration of the Llambias House were responsible for the donation of a bronze statue. Verle A. Pope entered first politics as a candidate in 1934, won a seat in 1942 in the Florida House of Representatives, returned in 1945 to St. Augustine, served as Senate President. Verle A. Pope is located at the Florida School. Pope donated 40 acres of land to the St. Augustine Technical School. The cartoon featured true-life oddities with the tagline from around the world. Ripley's first cartoon appeared in 1918 in the New York Globe. General Edmund Kirby Smith born in St. Augustine in 1824, served under Braxton Bragg and Gustave Beauregard under generals Joseph Johnston, died in 1893. Franklin Waldo Smith died in 1911, is located at 99 Cordova Street at the Casa Monica Hotel. An early preservationist recommended in St. Augustine that future construction. Thomas Buckingham Smith was born on Cumberland Island in 1810. This fund is partially responsible in the city for recent nursing home construction. Elizabeth Morley Towers was born in 1899, came in 1918 to St. Augustine, died in 1985, is located at 57 Treasury Street at the Joaneda House. The St. Augustine Preservation Board helped restore the Hispanic Garden was the restoration of the Joaneda House. Henry L. Twine was born in Tallahassee in 1923, served during the 1960s Civil Rights movement as president of the local NAACP chapter, died in 1994, is located at 163 Twine Street at the Twine House. F. Charles Usina was born in 1903, was a State Representative, a champion of the State Mental Health program, legislation, the Florida School from 1943 for 11 terms, served on the school's Board, died in 1966. F. Charles Usina is located at Florida School at the F. Charles Usina Athletic Field. Representative Usina was Lt. Governor and a Past President. Varela was an outspoken advocate for Cuban independence. Poor health was buried in the city's Tolomato Cemetery. The 1985 Holy is located at 36 Cathedral Place at the Basilica-Cathedral of St. Augustine. Emily Lloyd Wilson was born in Altoona c. 1868, died in 1960, is located at 18 St. Francis Street at the Webb Building. Wilson secured copies of old maps, Spanish records and documents served as historian and librarian. Frank T. Hurley is located at Gulf Way at Colonel Frank T. Hurley Park. Thomas J. Rowe is located at 3400 Gulf Boulevard at Spa and the Don CeSar Beach Resort. Earl Morrow Clark came in St. Petersburg to Admiral Farragut Academy, is located on Admiral Farragut Academy on the Clark Building. 1958 Clark was appointed to the Florida Committee of Southern Schools. Dr. Paul R. Hortin was born in Albion in 1903, graduated from Biblical Institute from Garrett. Christ United Methodist Church was founded under Dr. Hortin's leadership in 1890, carried out ministry on fishing expeditions from the pulpit. The Religious Heritage of America recognized Hortin with the Religious Service Citation in 1969. The City of St. Petersburg gave the Silver Citizen Award, Sportsman of the Year. Dr. Paul Hortin died in 1990, is located at First Avenue North at the Christ Methodist Church. Morris Raiford Johns left the Orlando area established a reputation as a skilled farmer. Johns operated later a grocery, funeral home and dry cleaning service. George W. Parks came on the Florida East Coast to Jensen, died in 1943 in 1943, is located at 161 S.W. Flagler Avenue at the Stuart Feed Store. Parks built the Stuart Feed Store in 1901, helped incorporate the Town of Stuart in 1914, brought in 1908 Gulf Oil to Stuart, was a pioneer in the founding of Stuart in Stuart's early history. Parks raised family in the building's upstairs apartment. The store remained until 1946 in the Parks's family, helped found Stuart's first bank in 1912. James R. Pomeroy born in 1872, taught school, principal of Fort Pierce. Dan Pearl was born in 1910, died in 1996, is located at 10500 West Oakland Park Boulevard at the Sunrise Dan Pearl Library. Broward County's largest branch library bears name was built after much effort in Sunrise, was a member of numerous boards.

YearLlambias House
1519Pedro Menendez born in 1519 in Spain.
1656 09 4This voyage looking on 1656 09 4 for Ribaut.
1747Francisco Pellicer was born around 1747 in Minorca.
1785Frances Kirby Smith born in 1785.
1801Prince Napoleon Achille Murat was born in 1801.
1810Thomas Buckingham Smith was born on Cumberland Island in 1810.
1818William Wing Loring was born in Wilmington in 1818.
1819Martin Johnson Heade was born in Bucks County in 1819.
1824General Edmund Kirby Smith born in St. Augustine in 1824.
1830Henry Morrison Flagler was born in New York in Hopewell.
1839Dr. Andrew Anderson was born in 1839 in St. Augustine.
1841Smith served a term in 1841 on the city council.
1846Walter Kitching born in 1846.
1852Judge Edmund F. Dunne went in 1852 to California.
1855Miss Fatio purchased property in 1855 at 22 Aviles Street.
1863 12 2Charles Ringling was born in MacGregor on 1863 12 2.
1865Dr. Andrew Anderson received medical degree in 1865 from Princeton University.
1867Margaret Shippen Roebling was born in Bernardsville in 1867.
1868Emily Lloyd Wilson was born in Altoona c. 1868.
1869Owen Burns was born in 1869 in Maryland.
1870Dr. Luella Day McConnell was born in Baltimore in 1870.
1872James R. Pomeroy born in 1872.
1874Dr. Andrew Anderson received medical degree in 1865 from Princeton University.
1875Francis Kirby Smith died in 1875.
1881Dr. Joseph Halton was born in Lancashire c. 1881.
1884Harry Lee Higel came in 1884 to Sarasota.
1886Andrew McAnsh born c. 1886.
1888Walter B. Fraser born in Georgia in Flowery Branch.
1889Nina Hawkins was born at Lake George in 1889.
1890Christ United Methodist Church was founded under Dr. Hortin's leadership in 1890.
1893General Edmund Kirby Smith died in 1893.
1894Frank P. Bailey arrived in 1894 on Sanibel Island.
1895Dr. Andrew Anderson wintered until 1895 in St. Augustine.
1899Elizabeth Morley Towers was born in 1899.
1900The company was real estate agent and the only attorney until after 1900 in the community.
1901Parks built the Stuart Feed Store in 1901.
1902The St. Augustine artist colony was discontinued in 1902.
1903Dr. Paul R. Hortin was born in Albion in 1903.
1904Martin Johnson Heade died in 1904.
1907Dr. Joseph Halton settled in 1907 in Sarasota.
1908Parks brought in 1908 Gulf Oil to Stuart.
1910Dan Pearl was born in 1910.
1911Franklin Waldo Smith died in 1911.
1912The store helped found Stuart's first bank in 1912.
1913Henry Morrison Flagler died in 1913.
1914Parks helped incorporate the Town of Stuart in 1914.
1916Percy L. Hedgecock was born in North Carolina in 1916.
1917Bailey co-founded the Sanibel Community Church in 1917.
1918Elizabeth Morley Towers came in 1918 to St. Augustine.
1921Ernest Arthur Smith retired in 1921.
1923Henry L. Twine was born in Tallahassee in 1923.
1924Dr. Anderson died in 1924.
1925Hawkins became City Editor by 1925.
1926Construction began in 1926.
1926 12 3Charles Ringling died on 1926 12 3.
1931Dr. Paul R. Hortin graduated from Biblical Institute from Garrett.
1932Walter Kitching died in 1932.
1934Verle A. Pope entered first politics as a candidate in 1934.
1937Owen Burns died in 1937.
1938David Lindsay served until 1938 as the newspaper's publisher.
1942Verle A. Pope won a seat in 1942 in the Florida House of Representatives.
1943George W. Parks died in 1943 in 1943.
1945Verle A. Pope returned in 1945 to St. Augustine.
1946The store remained until 1946 in the Parks's family.
1948Verle A. Pope returned in 1945 to St. Augustine.
1949Earl Cunningham moved in 1949 to St. Augustine.
1955The Selbys established also Marie Selby Foundation and the William in 1955.
1960Emily Lloyd Wilson died in 1960.
1962Ernest Arthur Smith died in 1962.
1965James J. Horgan came in 1965 to San Antonio.
1966F. Charles Usina died in 1966.
1968Lewis established Flagler College, an independent liberal arts college in 1968 in St. Augustine.
1969The Religious Heritage of America recognized Hortin with the Religious Service Citation in 1969.
1972Nina Hawkins died in 1972.
1973Frank B. Butler died in 1973.
1977Earl Cunningham died in 1977.
1983The hotel portion of the complex was demolished in 1983.
1985Elizabeth Morley Towers died in 1985.
1987Percy L. Hedgecock died in 1987.
1990Dr. Paul Hortin died in 1990.
1994Henry L. Twine died in 1994.
1995Lawerence Lewis died in 1995.
1996Dan Pearl died in 1996.
1997Albert Manucy died in 1997.

Pessimism is a mental attitude

Previous article

Victor Davis Hanson has been a commentator

Next article

You may also like