The 1930s was the most important source of tungsten in the world in the world. The Japanese Empire and Thai Prime Minister Plaek Phibunsongkhram occupied parts and Kengtung. The Imperial Gazetteer of India gave Nay Pyi Taw, the code MM-18. Burma was a province of India was detached as a separate crown colony from India, was occupied during World War II by Japan. These divisions were subdivided further into districts. A publication of the Permanent Committee discusses naming issues in Myanmar, shows also estimated populations of divisions.
GeoCities was founded originally in late 1994 by John Rezner and David Bohnett. Approximately ten years bought GeoCities, the company were leased the rent is only remarkable height and two hundred cubits, seventy cubits for the immense amount of labour, is believed generally that if elephant that if a goat. Approximately ten years had abundant water is told that a monk, named Pilu had been there no titu \ vng's adoption by King Mind. Google Book Search Google's mission Search helps readers, the world's books, new audiences search on the web through the full text of this book. Ib.l Taw-bu Taw-bya Tawng Ni ib, Peng Tawng Talong Tawng Tek Taw Nio Taw. Wan Ping Waraw Warraw and Wan Pung Wan Pyu Wan Siri Pum Wan Ta Wan T5p Wantu VVa-Tiwi-g6n Wan Van Hkam Wan Yin Wa-pyu-daung Warn Warabfin Waradut Waror. Water is available avail, available fron, a spring, available south of the village below the village from a stream, is procured from a stream, is brought in in troughs by leads, was given generally except in cases of urgent need in rotation.
Water is obtained from holes from water-holes, is got from a stream, is found in the viHageandasmall stream trickles in several wells. The souih bank of the Myittha river be reached from sixteen miles from Lungno. The village is stockaded not a good water-supply, a bad water-supply on the western face at the gate-way, is an offshoot of Rimpi, an offshoot of Rawywa, nine miles, sixteen miles, ten miles, ten miles, fourteen mihs, eleven miles, three feet, only Rs, sixteen miles, eleven miles, the stopping-place of the little traffic, usually three feet, two distant miles, Yangfang, fifteen miles, eight miles of Wetwin, a po, fourteen miles, thirty-five miles, Ka La Kwai, a formerly place, nineteen miles, fifteen miles, fourteen miles, thirteen miles, thirteen miles, thirteen miles, fifteen miles, the residence of a htamong, thirty miles, the headquarters of the Wa-thfe Gaingok Sayadaw, waist, thirty-seven and-halE miles, Yab6n, thirty-nine miles, eighteen miles, eleven miles, nine mites, nineteen miles, sixteen miles, twenty-one nules, undt ^ r, the thugvi of Madaingbin under The water-supply under Lawle of Klang-klang, had formerly much influence, twenty-five houses on an approximate calculation with a population of one hundred perons, pays tribute to Lyen Mo of Haka tribute to La Sin and Lyen Mo.
The village was called Laungsin does pay not any tribute to Falam, paid Rs, Rs, Rs, Ks, Rs has fifty-five houses, camping-ground and good water-supply, water-supply and good camping-ground, stockades, thirteen houses of Shan-Burmese, a population and forty-seven houses, the population and thirty-five houses, the population and forty houses, a considerable trade, thirty buffaloes, an approximate population and sixty-five houses, an insigni, the papulation and twenty-five houses, an hundred houses, fifty houses, no historic interest, the population and forty houses, eleven houses, about twenty houses, a very handsome mon, a fair water supply, a small monastery and sixteen houses, a monastery and forty houses, influence, a population and thirty houses, hedges and the usual fences, thirty-five houses, the population and fifty houses, the population and fifty houses in cotton at the ejatcways, is inhabited by a mixed race and Shans by Sagyilain clan and the Limkai. The village was disarmed in 1893 in 1S92, was destroyed in 1889 03 by troops, was burnt down in the people and an accidental fire in 1897, are re-lniilding now old village near the water, has declined a good deal since the withdrawal of the police post.
The village is surrounded hy, a strong stockade of giant bamboos, fifteen feet by a double fence, was attacked twice by dacoits, stands, the 011 western bank of the Paunglaung at a height of three thousand six hundred feet on high ground, was settled in 1875 from Naungpyit, was founded eight years from Katha in 1893. The village owns twenty-eight buffaloes has kept never any cattle is noted for a species of smaK fish, is caught in nets of white cloth, is situated soulh-west of Tid, fourteen-and-a-half miles south-east of headquarters on the right bank of the Irrawaddy on high ground. The village is reached fmmTiddim viaSaiyan, Molbem ford up the Shieltui spur, are a Civil Police post and a Public Works Department inspection bungalow, Buddhist shrines of great sanctity, temple and a pagoda, stoug quarries was built on the site of Mfe Saw, contains one small sayat, a population and ten houses, a population and ten houses of about one hundred persons of about fifty, lies six miles of Maymyo, on the Railway line to the north-west of Shwcmyo. The village was fined for robbery in 1890-gi, is included in this circle, was established on the bank of the Mi on high ground, was defended by deep ditches, grows large quantities of sugarcane. The village was assessed at Rs, was the originally head of thirty ^ ```` w, ^ ships, in the Moyu Kayaing to the ground, was engaged on Lawvar in the attack, is closed in by three, contained a population and fifty-two houses. The village was re-settled in 1894, be attacked best as the ascent from the road, is built at the western end on a flat terrace, has eigl.t houses is called Thagiwun. The village lias has gone on steadily incrcasin j. Rawa was disarmed partially in 1895, was founded by rela. THE UPPER BURMA GAZETTEER RAW pays tribute to Yalta and both Yfilcwa. RAWVA lies six miles of Naring across the Boinu stream. Da Sim and Yotung were resident chiefs is stockaded slightly camping-ground and fair water-supply. The people are s and Chim-m, Torrs, Kanhows and Yds, Thados, Tash6ns, Norns, pack-bullock owners and y, Burman, _ yrt-cultivators, Burmans, ginger and tf, Kwungyis and Whenohs, Lii, irrigated rice-fields, cultivators, all almost Palaungs, ginger cultivators and Burman pein, cultivators, THA-YET-TAVV, cultivators, mostly Lais, Taungthu, no ir.igated lands, Kanhows, Tai Loi, Tnf Lot, Hkamu, the original settlers and Lais, Burmans, the groundnut by origin as several families, cultivated the paddy-fields on either side of the river, speak with awe of the great fa, boiled cutch, livelihood.
The people are engaged mostly in lowland paddy cultivation, work lowland paddy to some extent, was destroyed in 1889, settled originally at north of Yawng Hwe at Nan The. \ village of Yotun Chins lies eleven miles of Naring, eighteen miles south-west of Lungno. The area of the district composed is thus approximately is bounded on the Shweli river on the north hy, is the population and nineteen thousand square miles. The Thence boundary follows the watershed, a succession of streams between Shweli rivers and the Nam Wi. The west forms the boundary between the districts and Ruby Mines district. The river district comprised a strip on both banks of the Irrawaddy. That date posted to the charge of the Ruby Mines district, following shrubs and trees. The headquarters of the new district were placed tempo. Some little resistance was offered in the neighbourhood of Mogok, was under a pretender. ^ intersected by narrow valleys, is partly due approximately 500 square miles, E Q, ^ jOOOOOOOOOOCOOOO no doubt to the disturbances of the Annexation, aw Gaung are fishermen and cultivators on the the south Yenan-gyaung township of Magwe district on the rorththe Pagan township. ^ q ^ gQ lies along the Chindwin river along the right bank nf, is divided into the subdivisions of Yamfethin, remained deserted then until the time of Alaungpaya, was assessed to thathameda. ^ amounted to Rs. The Tagaung subdivision comprises a narrow strip along subject along the Irrawaddy river. The highest range is behind ^ nago behind Sabi, radiates a confu. The hills are dotted with Kachins with villages of hill tribes, are Pingubaung, stony is surrounded by bamboo groves and trees, is a stage on the road. The hills overhanging the Salween cultivated. A large portion of the district is uninhabited jungle in some places. The hilly parts receive an ample rainfall is raised in September and August. Sapphires and rubies have been found in the drainage of the Yfikkazo chaung, were iniitiation stones so the name of the circle. The Burmese call chaung and the Moby, the place Wunhla in Momeik after the place of that name. The soil is a stif for black cotton for the most part, is impregnated with the lake with the water cf and salt. This point occurs in the marble and the stratification, is in the Irrawaddy range, has been unvisited until the point. The ruby is found in The sapphire in Kyatpyin and Mog6kp Kathe. Spinels and Minerals are found at Kyatpyin and Kathd at Mogftk. Large quantities are found also in north of Mogok in U Daung-myin, is eighteen miles in 1891 from Shwebo. The moonstone occurs in two Kye-nitaung miles of Mogok. Jarcon and Jasper are found usually along with sapphires and rubies. Tourmaline appears near Nyaungdauk in the Mobv ^ chaung. The mines were worked in hut in Burmese times, take the shape of an open quarry were leased to Maung Kya Ywet. Lapis Lazuli is found ill Thapanbin chaung near Payath6nsu in the grove. RUB use the well-known Chinese wooden saddle is the end of December. The King made enquiries granted the lucky finder of the stone, an audience was the seventy-seventh in direct descent, devoted also Nga Nyogyi and Nga Pyiwa. 1236 B.E. valued at four thousand rupees, extended greatly the State was appointed Myoza fell out with Maung Pu. 1236 B.E. brought down the top of the pagoda became SflU. Another famous stone was found the so-lhugyi weighed twenty ratties, Nga Po was taken then to the Kyauk-set-wun, is brouglit on the oppaiite bank from Letsaunggan. The area of this tract is roughly two hundred square miles. Many trees of the plains be traced however up to a height of four thousand feet. The list indicates roughly the succession of the species from the lower heights upwards. The chestnuts are the Castunea indica, trtbuloid are used much as small timber by the people. Chestnuts and the oaks are Schima species fhilya-ni and Schrna crenata, useful timber trees. Other coarse grasses and Sachorum make appearance on old taungya. The skTtsof are large prassv banks with a few scattered trees of Phyllanthus. These changes lead up to the true evergreen forest, be rung on the four following. All times is gloomy in the dry season except for a short time, is divided now into one hundred, was stationed at Kindat, were spoken as Countries and the Nine Cities of by the Burmese. All times were at Dibayin, lived here with an over-lord. The appearance of the evergreen forest seen from a distance. The reserved area is, a confused mass of hills in an unin, is impregnated with salt, irrigated in Salin township, is being worked by a company. The reserved area be taken at three hundred. Company and Messrs. L'arwood are being worked now out by Company and Messrs. L'arwood. An experimental orchard was planted with English apples near Bernard, has suffered from lack of experienced supervision, is sfocked fully with trees. Straw-berries have been grown also with H with fair results. The Shans live mostly in the parts in the MogAk township, report a formidable obstacle near Mdug Pan at Tang Kao Tck, varies at the discretion of the headman, do sell not fields in fact. The Shans inhabit the plains to the west, living while the upland Taungthu, are most numerous in the plains in the capital town. The population of the Momeit State is estimated roughly at 30000. The Burmans live mostly in the Tagaung subdivision, have a usually large amount of Shan blood were converted are mostly Court officials. A good number come up from Mandalay to the stone tract, licensed yet in a month, diminishes as the atmosphere in the rains, are named Bodawgyi, Thawdein-thakinma. A good number preyed on villages. The Shan-Chinese States of Mong La are called generally by the Burmese after the second State, are largely smugglers and inveterate gamblers, very useful visitors, nominally Buddhis.s. The Palaungs live entirely in the hills, work tea around the Shans and Sang Hun, were the descendants of a Naga Princess by Prince of the Sun by Thuriya, sell occasionally fields. Every Once year make a formal visit to these visits and the neighbouring villages, was raised from each house to three rupees, was fixed as the all-round rate, came to Burma. Every Once year was dedicated at noon, named Maung Kyin Baw. The women's dress is on each sleeve with the addition of a red cuff, are nominallv spirit-worshippers like the Kachins, dressed in fine clothes. The race is poor in physique in wordly goods, wears distinctive costume. The Li-hsaw houses are raised not with the family from the ground, have been built a town were assessed Rs, Rs stand with walls of mud on piles. The Li-hsaw houses numbered, paid revenue, Rs is situated on the eastern slope of the Mo Htai ridge at a height of five thousand feet. The Kachins live mostly in the Kodaung township of the Momeit, predominate north of the Shweli bought salt and fish at the village, bring down raw cotton. The Kachins are found mostly in the Northern circle, are assessed at Rs, came down in 1887. A few Panthays have settled in others and Mogok, are the only carriers. This agreement have the exclusive right to an extraordi. Rubies liave been found in five different locales, are found in the Sagyin hills in alabaster and the Sagyin hills. The other locates vary only in the position, are imbedded usually inacharactcrestic earth. The level disposition of the layers suggests that these valleys. This man assisted by another miner, marries Br.ihmans named Maung Twa, permission get only land at Meiktila and Yindaw at Yamfethin. This man comes down in a naukht with a single jar. Water are kept free from water, is delivered by Hows and bamboo troughs into the top of the cutting, delivered at the mine head, taken out in the morning. Water rises in the hot weather, connects Yawng Hwe with ^ lake with the Inl. Two men employed usually in a ludwiu, were the real rulers of Tawng Peng were quartered permanently in the Palace ard, received monthly wages, supra. The sand is picked then by children and women over a second time. One day is devoted usually to digging, get no game turned therefore to religion, came flying to the Princess's chamber. One day is pointed out high as the original building. One ludicin excavated is lifted a distance of ninety feet. The first attempts were made in the Mog6k valley by digging trenches. Difficulty was experienced from the results and the water. 1894 04 work was commenced in the MogAk valley, was started near Kyatpyin in the Luda valley. A sort of perpetual jigj gone then over by the rubies and hand. The Sawbwa charges a license fee pays the Company Rs lives at lingsa, remained with the Burmese Government on good terms. Other precious stones and the M5ng Mit Stone Tract rubles have been found under circum in various places. This vein IS followed then as in a Mogfik ludwin in the same way. A 228 month was introduced Rs being charged for each workman. A small amount of mica is extracted in the neighbourhood of Twinngfe. A 25 • few licenses have been issued also for the extraction of gypsum. This Not unnaturally system gave rise to much smuggling. These conditions were altered after the lease about six months. Revenue is raised now from bazaar rents from x and the thnthameda-i. The land revenue is a share of the produce was collected in tbe circle in the circle, was assessed in the circle in that year, amounted toRs to Rs to Rs. The land revenue was the ill coltectcd circle paid by the circle by the circle, derived from the circle, has been assessed yet in the circle in the circle, collected wa. Royal proclamation was 959 B.E. during the reign of Nuha-thura Maha Dhamma-yaza. A register of the native population be taken by the Ministers of Slate. The Sawbvi'i of Momcit has received Tagaung in exchange. The boundaries of the stone tract were fixed in the reign of Bodaw Paya in 1145 B.E.. The first settlers of Kyatpyin were therefore pure Burmans. The Burmese King sent immediately with orders, said THE 144 UPPER BURMA GAZETTEER. Mogfik of the townships claims hereditary Succession for so-thug ^ and xi. This latter sum included bazaar, gambling licenses and liquor. The district was occupied first by a force, was verv un is administered with Treasury Officer and an Akunwun by a Deputy Commissioner, extends from the Nam Paw. The district was resettled from Man-the about i860, is bounded by Meiktila on the north, was called Dibayin Kothan. • was erected upon the spot, takes off on south bank and the right. The present village of Tagaung is built on the site of Old Tagaung. Other pagodas of note are the Shwczedi pagoda, south-east of Tagaung. The overgrown shrines of the Shwezigcm pagoda are found V terra cotta tablets with \ inscriptions with an embossed efligy of the Buddha bearing Pali. The most frequented pagoda is the Shwe-myindin pagoda, an insignificant building near Momeit, was also enlarged enlarged several times, therefore buill at ln-6n by the people, is said that the original, was erected by U Nyeya in 1849 A.D. The most frequented pagoda is held every year in Tagu. The parrot containing a precious stone placed the bag on a tree. Bodawgyi lives near the Ruby Mines Company's works in a little mound, is approaclied sometimes with a request by the ruby-miners. Keitsag6k lives on the west side inside the rock of that name. Chaungz6n Ashingyi lives near the river in a very fine cluster of fig trees, is a very rough uat drinks spirits, fresh meat. The nats eat three times, a year in Nadaw and Thadingyut in IVaso, objected strongly on Mogok side and the north to the presence of meat-sellers. The headman of the village has no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others sub, no others, no others. The thugyi has four small villages collected the thathamcda are at SubokkAn, support by cultivation. The thugyi raise mayin, taungya paddy and kaukkyi, fishermen was a formerly man of great power became a myothiigyi. The chief industry is paddy cultivation, paddy cultivation, rice cultivation, rice cultivation. The Myittha river is bunded here for the irrigation of dry-weather mayin Eaddy. The population numbered, forty persons, forty persons, thirty-nine men, fifty-six children and forty-five women, the area and only sixteen persons, ninety-five persons, fifty-tbrce persons, thirly-four persons, fifty-one persons, mostly paddy culti, ,, ,, two thousand livt, eighty-five persons, mostly rice farmers, four hundred persons, mostly paddy cultivators, sixty-six persons, ,, twenty persons, sixty-five persons, mostly paddy cul, ,, the revenue amount and four hundred persons, fifty-one persons, sixty-eight persons, ,, ,, ,, one hundred persons, eighty-two persons, sixty-four persons, under cultivation in 1897, was unknown is chiefly Shan, Shan, Lii and Lem, Shan in the hills with a sprinkling of Palaungs, is engaged in paddy cultivation in paddy-cultivation. The population is believed now about 96000 persons to number, be placed at fourteen thousand persons. 280 thathameda revenue is under the Ywatna thugyi under the Ywama thugyi, amounted toRs to Rs to Rs, are all rice farmers, all rice farmers stands on the Ye-u-KunAn road. 280 thathameda revenue amouuled to Rs. The thathameda amounted toRs to Rs to Rs, paid by the circle in i8g6. The chief crop is paddy, paddy Rs, paddy, paddy, rice, the outturn, paddy, paddy, paddy, paddy from the irrigated lands, cultivated is paddy, the probably poppy cultivated in the circle. The thathamcda amounted to Rs to Rs, paid for 1896 by the circle. The present headquarters of a circle containing twentyone villages is about twenty-five miles west of Momeit. The Kinchaung emerges near Sagadaung from the hills, is called here the Sagadaung ckaung produce excellent crops of tobacco. The headman has no other villages, no others, no others, no others, eight houses of Lahtawng Kachins, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no otlicrs, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others, no others is known as the Sai Lein Kin, is styled a Mvoza lias no others. Annual fairs are held about one mile south of Sa-ga-in at the Taungdaw pagoda. Trustees have been appointed lately for lands and this pagoda. Salt is manufactured in Samu in the neighbourhood of Sadaung, are the chief mineral products is found in the Pintha myothugyi in wells, is procured from Sheinmaga. The revenue was paid in by the ayadaw-vk, paid amount, bjyr, the subdivision in 1897 in that year, paid was one rupee, three rupees, four annas, Rs, Rs, two rupees, one rupee, Rs, one rupee, one rupee, four annas, Rs, four annas, Rs, one rupee, Re, two rupees, one rupee, one rupee, three rupees per the occupation and household per the people and household, amounted to Rs to Rs. The revenue owned thirty bul, twenty-nine bullocks, fifty-nine pigs and thirteen buffaloes, thirteen buffaloes and three bullocks was collected by an olTicer, was subordinate Rs, Rs to Royal lands, was sent up in kind in coin, derived from the four above sources. The revenue realized from thathameda, paid amounted then to Rs to Rs, being Rs lies on the Chin Hills frontier, paid is nearly one-half of the total amount. The revenue had also levied now in the southern subdivision, has a Civil Police station. The hill tracts are covered mostly with thick scrub jungle. The hot weather is distinguished not by persistent hot winds, is enveloped in dense fogs, is densest aud for pdngaivs, lies in half way in a belt. Few villages are Seing6n, Linzin and Ach6k, Taungdwingyi, K6kkogwa and Sattbwa over the town of Sagaing without one, included in the circle in the circle, are scattered over this fertile tract, founded originally. Few villages are situated on the banks of the Meza stream. The Sometimes leper is put in the same compound in a separate hut. The shrine of Maha-pein6 contains amongst a common alabaster Gaudama amongst other images. The wedding presents are given according then to the means of the giver. The Roman Catholic Mission has at Chaungu and Nabet at two present stations. These missions do do not much proselytizing look after the native Christians. The census returns of population give following figures. Shop-keepers and the traders are many natives of India, not Shan-TayAks are settled in Sfe Hai, employ there upwards of a thousand pack mules use this route. Shop-keepers and the traders come from Yilaw from Momein. Fishermen are common like jaggery-makers like the toddy-climbers. This movement is chiefly from the Chindwin-Irrawaddy delta from riverain villages. Garden and Tobacco Orchard produce Miscellaneous food-crops. The river sandbanks pass gradually into rich beds of alluvial silt. Wells are used by keepers and market gardeners for irrigation purposes. The water-scoop is slung from the apex of three bamboos. Early crops are sown in main crops in June and May, cultivated arc paddy, yoa. The Frequently land forming the undulations taken originally up an area of The two thousand civil station assigned to the pagoda, is found near the InI6 lake. Short rainfall causes occasionally local scarcity follows the valleys of the Mu is twenty-nine inches. The Bombay Burma Trading Corporation have kept long an agent at the mouth of the Mu. The company has an also agent at the mouth of the Myit-ngfe at Ava. Chaungu and Myinmu have flourishing bazaars that at Allakappa. Articles of bazaar supply are exchanged as the huckster and cotton for quantities of some trade staple. Sagaing town has taken place is calling station for the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company's sleamers, was founded in no B.E., was called Nwfeg6n. Sagaing town is divided into eleven quarters. Brass workers ply trade convert copper sheets make from Rs. The whole process of manufacture is carried on by hand. One-quarter mixed with the amount of paddy dust with one-quarter, are made ordinarily in moulds. The limestone is broken into lumps, is found in the southern subdivision. The slack lime is sold at the hundred baskets at ten rupees. Jack-tree branches are treated in the same way, was northern the formerly main river. Coarse paper is manufactured from paddy-straw in the district. Communications and The trade routes are the Irrawaddy for j. for conveyance. This road villages of fifty houses were planted at regular intervals. The inhabitants were charged in return from robbers, are Burmese and Shan-Burmese, Shan, mostly Shans, no own cattle and Shan-Burmese, ol, the Lep, Shans and Burmans, Shans and Burmans, mayin, taungya and kaukkyi, Shan-Burmese and Fiurmtse, Shan, Burmans, tobacco, no own cattle and Shan-Burmese, Palaungs of the Tung Nung tribe, Burmans and Shans, kaukkyi, faurtfya and mayin, chiefly Shan-Kadus came originally from Mana from Naunglan, call Mung, twenty years. The inhabitants keep pack-mules, quantities of opium axe Shan own work and ten buffaloes, sixty-five buffaloes, a yield of eleven, hundred baskets of kaukkyi hire buffaloes from the neighbouring Kachin villages, work mayi in north of the village at Petlat. The inhabitants settled in 1877 in Winwa, cultivated low-land paddy. This road carries a very large amount and the M6nywa mails has very easy gradients comes in at Salin, leads east in a low palini through a gate. This road runs from Kyaukmyaung, follows the summit of the Salween ridge running across four small streams across the hillsides of Tang. Mogaung-Myitkyina Railway and The Mu Valley worked by the Burma Railways Company. The Sagaing-AlAn branch Railway passing through Myinmu. Burmese rule tlie Wun was the highest local official with a nomi. Each township was divided also into three thauks, is bounded by the North Yama stream on the north, was known once as Eastern Pagyi, is hilly hundred SL-ven square miles, iu area in the base in shape. Each township has an approximate jiopulation of 44801 persons formed until a 1802 part of the Mvadaung subdivision, paid Rs contains forty-two villages. Shan ahtnudan Bo received also sa-gyun palm-leaf orders. Other land and Ahmudan-sa held under the Burmese regime. British rule justice is administert-d by the Commissioner of the Sagaing Division. Telegraph offices and Myiomu was crossed by the king's telegraph wire. An account of the municipal revenue is given under Sagaing town. Ava received was thousand fcmrteen rupees was estimated collection became again the capital in Ba-gyidaw's reign. The 3 45.693 668 8.463 18526 6.174 2070 4.266 5.87.849 4.39.279 district funds are raised from ferries from fees and bazaar rents. 6i includes reading, arithmetic, geography and Burmese grammar. The kindergarten system is being introduced into those schools. Pupils are being employed as certificated assistant teachers by the Education Department. The total amount of grants paid in this year, gained was Rs. Eighteen pupil teachers receive allowances from Government. The Municipal school was started first in 1892 08, has two assistant teachers. The Roman Catholic school was registered in 1887 by the Education Department. The Ava subdivision Bo Po T61t was freebooter and the Taingda AtingyCs jackal. The following were the most notable dacoits in Burmese times, is a translation, the translation of a Royal Order was the Yainfethin scale of the so-called Kadaw Letsaungdaw be placed under the immediate orders of the Nyaung Shwe Sarn. A list of notable pagodas is given under Sagaing town under the head o. Many Sagaing peoy attend the festival of the Shwepyin-gyi. The nat called Myin-byu-shin, was seen mounted on a white horse. M6nyo village was obtained from the Township Officer of Padu. This ceremony of oblation lasted in the morning from seven. The food offered had been cast away along with a basket of rice for the beasts. The north dividing from Shvvebo district, is marked by a range of limestooe hills, is have been Races. The north live in the valleys on the hills, is divided into Yindaw and Pyawbwfe into the townships of Yamfcthin. This reason irrigation be carried not on from the Yemyet. The subdivision is divided at Sadaung and the capital town into the townships of Sagaing, forms a complete system of irrigation works is watered by numerous affluents of the Yin stream, is separated from main portion of the district bv from tlie. The subdivision includes besides the townships of Ta-ze besides the Ye-u township. The result of such ample moisture is seen in great luxuriance of vegetation. The river is crossed by the second span by a chain suspension-bridge of two spans, is here 2000 feet, eighty yards, two hundred yards, one hundred yards about two hundred yards about one hundred, drains an immense extent of the Shan be crossed at at Myothit by b ^. The river forms the boundary line on a range of the Shan bills on the north, are some excellent teak forests. The Sagaing Municipality supports on _ and bazaar rents. The seat of empire was fixed by Thadu-dharama-yaza at Ava. The Annexation was marked in action of Surgeon Heath by the death, divided into ten circles, was tlie centre of the forest-working industry was chosen as the headquarters of the Taungdwin township. The Annexation came down with hundred live mules from Santa and Maingia. A daughter of the Linyin Tiiugyi built Legendary History and the city, the Kingdom of Sagaing reigned from the age of tifteen under the title of Thiri Athin-khaya. The old city founded by Saw Yun, was Zeyapura, the victorious city occupied once a square of two miles side was deserted in 16S8. The two princes having fraed THE 68 UPPER BURMA GAZETTEER. The Hence name sit kaino ^ is dtTived by local etymologists, is the headquarters of the present township, a court-house, bazaar, Ramang was Nwa-mi-ta-thin a herd of black bullocks. The festival of the Shwe-zettaw pagoda is attended largely from all parts of Burma by pilgrims. The population of the township is Burmese, mostly Burman comprises Burmans, Shans. The villagers are cultivators and fishermen, sculptors and cultivators, coolies and cultivators, cultivators and bamboo-cutters, Ngus, Shans and l ^ alaungs, cultivators, cultivator, cultivators, cul, coolies and cultivators, cultivators and coolies, cultivators and coolies, cultivators, coolies and cultivators, cultivators and fishermen, cultivators and fishermen, cultivators, cultivators, Burmans, culti, fisher and cultivators, cultivators and coolies, cultivators and coolies, TAN-DAW, cultivators, cultivators, coolies, cultivators, fishermen, Shan traders and Burman, cultivators, cultivators, cul, cultivators, cu, cultivators, cultivators, cultivators, THA-ZI SUBDIVISION, cultivators, fishermen, cultivators, coolies and cultivators, work and chiefly fishermen, taungya and also mnyin, cultivators, cultivators, cultivators and mostly traders, bamboo mat-makers and chiefly cultivators, coolies, the crops and chiefly cultivators, maize, wheat and gram, cultivators, cultivators, cultivators, Danu, cultivators, coolies and cultivators, Burmans and Shans, fishermen, cultivators, cultivators and traders, coolies and cultivators, coolies and cultivators, pack-bullock owners, Burman, _ j' fl-rultivators, coolies and cultivators, cultivators, Cultivators and fishermen, immigrants, cultivators, cultivators, coolies and cultivators, cultivators, cul, cultivators, cul and bamboo-cutters, cultivators, cultivators, cultivators, coolies and cultivators, cu J, Shans and Burmans from Moda without exception settlers, owned fifty buffaloes, a large area of mayin, twelve buffaloes, thirty acres of hill paddy, five bullocks, five mules and ten buffaloes wash gold lour days's march north own a few cattle, a very small area of mayin land, work Ic and eight buffaloes, five ponies and five bullocks, no buffaloes, nine bullocks and ninety-three buffaloes, thirty buffaloes, work tnayin and fifty-six buffaloes, ten buffaloes, twenty SI-KAW, work mayin paddy and seventeen buffaloes, some buffaloes, thirty-seven buffaloes, a yield, a few ponies and eighty-two buffaloei, sixty-three buffaloes, forty buffaloes, one hundred buffaloes, paddy-land, four bullocks and fifty buffaloes, forty-two buffaloes, a little tobacco, twenty-five buffaloes, paddy, work taungya and twenty-eight buffaloes, fifty cattle, taungya, eight buffaloes, work taungya paddy and a few buffaloes. The villagers cultivated some sugarcane and a little irrigated land cultivate twelve own cattle and tea, jv, ttiavin and kaukkyi, wide fields of opium, the groundnut, the groundnut, taungva, mayin paddy and kaukkyi above the vil on the slopes, live mostly as coolies, get from the Paunghnet stream, have no buffaloes. The villagers are engaged exclusively in paddy cultivation, calch fish by the Shwe hli method, raise pcin and ginger worked formerly iron cut canes and bamboo. The villagers go in constant fear, buv spirits and opium. The best camp lies above west and the village, is on the Bovar at Chinnwe village. Paddy are the chief produce, the chief products, the chief produce, the chief products, the chief products, the chief crops, the chief products, the chief products, the chief products, the principal products, the chief products, the chief products, the chief products, the chief crops, the chief products, the chief products, the chief products, the chief products, the chief crops is the chief crop, the chief crop, the only crop, the chief product, the only crop, the chief crop, the only crop, the chief crop, the chief product, the chief crop was the chief crop hit jaggery arc Ihr chief products and si. Paddy ^ ^ k ^ A jovar, the principal products. The Eastern PatoI6n Forest Reserve forms the eastern boundary of the circle. The Nam Pilu is the only navigable stream, the chief feature of the State. The greater part of the plain is irrigated from yields and the Balu stream by means of water-wheels. The Red Karens have more primitive methods of cultivation. Sa-Koi has no practically separate history was a sub-State nf Mdng Pa until the present myoza's father, died in 1239 B.E.. The resident chief was Yankolyin, Twehmin, Howkatung, Tctung, L6n Kho, Lyen Yam, Nokatung, Toklaing, Koom Sung, Put Vum, MSngshim, Howchiakup, Hie Mon., Lyindai, Kotinboi, Naiyil, Vanhnyin, Hkankwe, Rowkali was destroyed in 1889, is Shwungnul to Vannul. The township periodicallv suffers as the rainfall from scarcity. The eastern bank of the Irrawaddy river is a port of call for steamers. The public buildings are a Civil Police post, a combined post and a bazaar, the manufacture of lacquer-ware, the Courts of the Assistant Commissioner, a court-house, court-houses, bazaar and a court-house for a bazaar and a Public Works Department bungalow for the Township Officer. The circle is bounded by Man Nawng on the north, contains twenty-one villages, a large area of wuttajran land is the Gaudapalin pagoda, a lamous bill in the township in charge of a Kyesa, had. The circle is situated eight miles south-south-west of headt, uarters has six villages, seventy-live houses paid land revenue of Rs, a land revenue of Rs, Rs, Rs, Rs lies five miles north-east of Pyintha about fourteen miles south-east of Dudalin, includes three villages, the villages of Kyauk-sbaw, two villages, eight villages, two villages, two villages, Myogan and Zedayfin. The circle was formerly part of the Taunglet, TAN-AUNG, 30000 tas including the single village of Taung-ywa pays revenue through pawlatns, comprises the villages of Thakutta-nc are stone quarries. The circle follows the left bank of the South Yama stream. Lowland paddy cultivation is the only industry, cotton and the chief industry was the chief ocfU iation. Myingyan districts and tSAL Magwe includes the townships of Sa-lin, Siddktaya and Kyabin. The country is generally flat the main roads was laid out in rice-fields, watered by the Salin canals, branch from Sa Ran and Nam Hsan. The country called Zeya-wutana. The most interesting feature of the township is irrigation system. Bout is surrounded by the Salin river by valuable paddy lands. The the 16th party marched on a capital road to Chalain mcait. The 85 eye is irrigated by means of the Clialain river. The suburbs of Chalain mew had fallen a prey to the flames. Round Chalain mew are the remains of a lofty brick wall in those places. An immense amount of labour have been expended years on the terracing of the slopes. This strip of valley is watered bv, a system of independent village canals. The irrigation system begins on the right bank at Shasha. The thirteen canals following are situated in the Salin township. These training banks are built well out on the slopini. The dam is constructed with a crib-work of saplings, measures five hundred feet along the width and the crest, is protected further with a tail. Construction is situated in the Kyabin township at the village of Paukma. Money was collected at fields at a so much pair of bullocks. Ligaing Afvothu ^ yis and The Sagu were responsible for the proper working of the Man canal. The Sagu Myothugyi was alone responsible for the Sedaw. The osas collected the money got on the collections per cent. Myaung-gaungs regulated the dist ibution of water under the j for the channels. The money collected was banked at the Subdivi, was this generally othcer. Lower ChinHwin district is situated on ^ ht bank of the river Chindwin on the ri. Sa1in?yi village is the headqua's ^ ters was in the headquarters of the Pagyi w in Burmese times. The left bank of the Chindwin river includes the villages of Salun, the villages of Waya, KywctpO, the two villages of Yin has a population of seveuty-thrce persons Paddy, ses.samum and jowar. Prince Henri d'Orleans crossed the river, a little south of the 28th paral. This formation is very favourable limestone for the here rice harvest and the terrace cultivation. The insignificant strips be called not an exception to the rule. The rocks are coated with a peculiar glistening polish. The average difference is merely tliat of a pronounced patois have been seen only in the cold weather. The stretch seems probable lliat boats is quite certain that steam-launches. The worst portion is between the mouth and Kyaukhnyat in Lower Burma, occurs a series of small valleys. The inhabitants of the valley is THE 94 noticeable UPPER BURMA GAZETTEER. The Salween is a formidable natural obstacle about one hundred about two hundred, resumes then a souther bends now about fifteen miles to the south, flows in a succession of long reaches. A detailed description of the Salween is impossible because no one. Teng Yang is the most northerly ferry in British territory, communio cates in Ko Kang territory between Maw Thai, is used only by the neighbouring villagers. The banks are strewn with boulders and huge rocks, is served by a sort and a rait, are sandv with Very small sandbanks. The ferry is used only locally by caravans by South Hsen Wi traders, is a good deal, three-and-a-half miles of Man Maii, a considerable village, eighteen distant miles from MQng Si about eighteen miles, was visited in 1896 by Lieutenant Macouoid, is served by one boat. The ferry is worked now from Government under a subsidy, are three rafts takes name from the Chinese village Ta-pa, go usually by the Govern onto return and Mandalay. The approaches are very steep on the one side down the Nam Sala, were always very bad with disuse. Twenty-six miles is below Mong Hawni ferry and the Man Ton, Ta Taw Maw, Dagwin, a mass of hills from the busy part of the river hegins from this ferry, paid a land revenue of Rs. Ta Hat Hpet and Ta Si Hkam leads on the western bank to Kang Mong. The Hsup Kyek ferry has taken latterly completely the place is from Pang T on the high road. Ta Man Ang is just below HsQp Kyet and Pa Pu below Ta Pa Lam and Kon Hong. The Ta ferry is between Ta Kut and Na Lao on the direct route, Ping to Keng Hung. The altitude is about the temperature and one thousand five hundred feet. The 97 Nam Hkao plunges about two hundred feet in a waterrall. The western ferry village numbered thirty houses in 189 1. Some distance is Ta Pyen, forty-sevcn-and-a-haU miles, twelve miles, forty miles, nine miles on the road. Boats go in eight, ply from light draught steam and Kyo-dan southwards, descend the Mfekhong. Fedden and 1865 Messrs. Watson travelled below Man Pan from a point. The right side of the river is rocky then thete, a passage took the thirty middle feet. Many places people were seen washing among pebbles and the sand for gold. Tlie passage took two days of about eight hours, takes about three minutes, is worked by men. The next tributary is the extremely tortuous Nam Nang, the Nam Hsim, a river. Ta Hsang is navigable as the mouth of the M for ten miles. The mouth of the Teng is about one hundred yards for a couple of miles. These streams form the boundary between Karen-ni and the Shan States, have very deep channels. The only tributary of any importance is here the M6 Pai. \ village is a port of call fo had a population of thirty persons Myaing township, Pak6k, township, district and Pakokku subdivision, township, district and Pakukku subdivison. Part of the village is flooded every year on the rise of the river. A small bazaar is held every five days, every fifth day is held See here Mong, Ma was established in Tiie bulk of the population in i8go. Iron is extracted in ihe Banpyin circle from the Loi Lik. The Kycm-mong Kun Kywet nnarried a daughter of the Hsi Hkip Myoza, issue, one son and two daughters, Kun Sun. Hill clearings are worked largely in the yas in most cases. The groundnut is cultivated extensively on the west bank of the river in the L6n Kan circle. The 12.855 Total Slate is divided for revenue purposes into circles and eleven tracts. The administration of the State is conducted by T D.M. by Saw Sein Bu. The Myoza appoints own officials, an annual tribute of Rs contained one hundred Shan houses with a popu, is situated on a piece of high ground, has a very fine Bhuddhist monastery, a small bazaar and a few pagodas. One Palaung village and only 1898 one Kachin is situated on a small range of hills. Burma and Lunta be reached from eighteen miles from Gaiigaw. The duwa's village contains fifteen Kacliin houses with a population of eighty persons, has a small bazaar, KAWNG HPA and SAO PAWN. The price of paddy was eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, twelve annas, the basket, twelve annas, the basket, eight annas, the baslcet, eight annas, the basket, eight aimas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, six annas, the basket, eight annas, the basket, twelve aonas, the basket, six annas, the bas, eight annas, the basket be taken at Rs. The hill is cleared for all round for fifty yards, is in the Upper Chindwin district. Tatso was resident chief is related to Munk6n of Shurkwa, was disarmed partially in 1895. The pagodas were built by A small bazaar by private benefactors, are the Baddamya-sedi, the Shinbyu Shinla and the Onhmin-thAnsfe, the Gaudapalin and the Baing Wundaung at Taungnyo. Sat-kyo bearing the same name, the scene of several fights. Dibwcl and Kopishi is reached via Dartati and Khwanglum via Klao. No land i-evenue was collected in SAT-THE in the circle. A police guard and A Public Works Department rest-house have been built in the village. Sa-wa-di was formerly under the Bhamo Wun and the Kaungton Myolhttgyi. Continual inroads of Kachins was then under the protection of the P6iikham Kachin chief. A further protection boats corresponding to the number of houses. A small plateau is surrounded with two gates by a wooden stockade. Channels of water run down the sides of all three streets. Plantain gardens stand to the extreme south of the town. The stream falls in a picturesque cascade, runs through the water-supply and the village. A wooden bridge has been thrown at the htamdng over the Nam Ma, was constructed by Assistant Engineer by Mr. Martindell, was bui!t by the brother of Mi Nil by Mintha Maimg O, is made generally across the Taping in the cold weather. The whole plain is here fiecjuently six feet during the rainy season under water, are generally sandy for any kind of cultivation in parts. The poppy is cultivated very extensively on Loi Maw by the Li-hsaw village. Sfi KAN. included twenty villages in 1898, is in charge of a nebaing. A. is grown especially round Na Ung village includes the circles of Mong Fawng. \ stream utilized in the Ko-ywa circle for irrigation purposes, rises in the south-west of the Posaung range. The irrigation embankment is near the old village of Kanla on the upper waters of the stream, was breached by the accumulation of teak logs. The yield iu the so-called island is 2000 viss of oil, a year. The relations ^ Sc Lan and ngmao have been established not yet with Sung Long. The M is bounded by Mawtcik circle on the north, ^ Fang. The inhabitants of the circle are Kadus of the same clan as the Mawteik Kadus. The British occupation Settaw circle was divided in Lower Settaw and Banmauk township into the two circles of Upper Settaw. Rice cultivation is trade and the only industry, the chief industry, the chief industry. SHAN-GA-LE-KYL is the only village in the circle, had a population of four hundred persons at the census of i8gi. The group was two-thirds is on the river side, has been formed recently from the lower ground by the removal of houses. Tanks lie in the southern part of the district, are rarely ever dry on the other hand. The Ye-u Subdivision west of the Mu are Ta-ze lakes and the Tabyin. The only tract is the Mudcin is bounded by the Hwe I-ang and the Loi Lan on the north. Shwebo runs principally along the railway, running for some thirty miles parallel to the railway, called Kun-baung-bwe, still suncr is sung to the accompaniment of two large drums. Shwebo became then the once more favoured district is a district. Petroleum are found in the Shwe-gyin township in small quantities. Coal is worked at Kabwet, has been discovered in the district. The Palaing tank irrigates a large tract in the south of the district. The accesion of Alompra received special atten forms the largest irrigation work in Shwebo. Tanks and The chief lakes are the Maung-ma kan near the village of the same naine near the Yenatha kan ^ and Nyaungwun village. Malaria follows on the the whole cli in the course ^ of the rain. Suburbs and The Shwebo town had a civil officer, a Afyook. Wuntho was in Burmese days under a Wun, became a part of Bo Byin is a station on the Mu Valley Railway. The Wun having rendered special service during the Padein Mint ha. SHW The Myinsa-yes was next to the Myintat Bo, had criminal powers. The higher officials were made the king and Myosas, the revenue of the myo. Upper Burma established in the locality in villages, was annexed in the 1886 name of Kawthanmi. King MindAn's reign taxation was instituted first the reason was Rs. The king's order was conveyed to the Windavi-hmn, issued orders built a pagoda founded also a village. The tax was collected by the thugyi, realized by the myothugyi by the niyothugyi. The niyothugyi o had invariably the monopoly of these four taxes in Mandalav from the Revenue oHice. The forest tax was fixed per dha at the rate of one rupee. The monopolies cart-tax was fixed for every cart at two annas. The royal gardens paid never in Man taxes to the Revenue office, have often the taung-sein leaf. The original potters were Talaings from Pegu, paid no special tax. The receipts were given often by king Minddn to p6ngyis. The unit of administration is headman and the thugyl appears certain during King Mindon's reign that the population. Men be found still in Lower Burma, are crossed by five dugouts. The chief communications are the Irrawaddy river by the Mu river and the whole year round by large steamers. Ye-u was administered in Burmese times by a Wtnt, has been reduced considerably since that year, had. The dry season is approached easily from communications and all directions. Years of bad rainfall migrate for the harvest season to Lower Burma. Coal of very good quality has been found on the banks of the Irrawad. History aj begins with the Annexation with the history. Capitals were founded for the ad in more convenient places. Return rendered King Tharrawaddy were allowed the privilege of travel. Title of Kayaing IVun joined the British flag rendered great service to the British Government. Government awarded a pension to Bo Byin, has assigned now lands repaired a large tank in 1891 near Tabon, appointed Maung Po Tu, Myook of Wuntho. The Mu Valley Railway runs through the centre of the district. This spirit lives in the village of Zidaw, is worshipped particularly at times of sickness. The chief food of the Shvvebo villagers \ hkaingye and s pegyi, tamarind and beans. SHVVE-BO includes the townships of Shwebo, Sheininaga and Chauk-ywa with headquarters. The Paungdaw-u pagoda situated on the north-cast corner of the city wall. Some vegetables and A little tobacco are grown SHWE-DA is cut in Februarj and January. Shwedaung was the home of the dacoit leaders Maung Thin. The dacoit leader Bo Po T6k burnt the village in l8Sg, was killed subsequenly by one. 151 Shwegu is the headquarters of the subdivision, the headquarters and a forest revenue station. The Shwegu area is cultivated more richly than the Mo-hnyin side. A line separated of about a quarter of a mile by a gap. Mysterious light did see the light on three successive nights. The Shwegu pagoda was built by King Naniani Sitliu upon a cave, was afterwards enlarged by the villagers. The Ayadaw pagoda was founded on the spot by the same monarch. The annual feast takes place on the full moon of Tasaungmun. Village and \ revenue circle includes the villages of Tayawdaw lies in the north of the township, skirts the left bank of the Chindwin river, north-east of Kani. SHW Shwe-gyaung is situated four miles south-east of Pylnlha. Nawng Hkam is the main ferry on the Bhamo-Nam Hkam road. Aoka is a Palaung village of twelve houses on the right bank on the road. Pang Hka is a Palaung village of twenty houses, two-and-a-quarter miles from the right bank of the river. Hpyi Paw is a Kachin village, two miles off the left bank of the river. The Shweli enters the ChSfang plain in the hills through a narrow valley. The mountains end here in very gentle slopes, are the Taung-thon-lon. The Ming Mao-Nam Hkam plain is above the sea about two thousand four hundred feet. The same time was established by the King and King Sawnyi, was Maung Taw Zan. Tlie annual festival of the Shwe M6ktaw was pretermitted after the Annexation for some years, falls on the full moon of Thadingyut. The railway station village was established in 1888, had forty-seven houses in 1892. Shwenyaungbin has a police-station possesses also a Public Works Department bungalow. \ N. lies seven miles on the left bank of the Chindwin river from Kyaukyit, are chiefly traders. A festival is held every year, every year during the waxing of TmaungtnSn on the full moon of Waso, attended is held largely here on the full moon of NayCn, lasts for seven days. The following history of the pagoda is inscribed in the para on a tablet. The reign of Alaung Sithu were set to the charge of the pagoda. That monarch dedicated also a yearly revenue of a thousand rupees. This monk according to the legend of the shrine, was a stream is the only regular joss-house in Ko Kang. These lands set also apart in the Sagu township for the pagoda lands, are ail in the Kontba circle. 427 B.E. King Patama Mingaung dedicated as lettagan lands in the same way. The best camping-ground is on the left bank to the south of the village. The M6n river flows through the entire length of the township. Irrigation is carried on by means of small canals, has been carried for traces and centuries on in the township. The principal onus are Nabe-gyin Thanatsit and sixty-one houses, sixty-two houses. The Thus Saga Kachins looked after Nanhan and Sikanga-le after Sikangyi. The Anauk-bet taik was transferred to the Minhla township west of the Irrawaddy, has a much more elaborate historv. The following history of the place is given by the Sub by Maung Shwe Da. This spot built the pagoda was called thereupon Yat Ngan. Min Naga settled therefore here with the title of Pyiso. The whole neighbourhood suffered from famine, is a bad camping captured in the same neighbourhood. The Shwe Sit Aung pagoda stands about a mile north, was built by King Duttabaung. The Shitpinsakvo pagoda is situated below Sinbaungw about ten miles, was built by King Arim ^ ddana Anawrahta. The Shwemudaw pagoda is below Sinbaungwfe about four miles. The Hnfikkyo island are Kyaungzu with Baingbin with nineteen houses. Oranges and Sweet limes grow on a few custard and the islands. Tobacco is sown after the water on the slopes of the river bank, is raised along the Mvit-ngti. The leaves are steamed always at the next day at night. The Hnokkyo villagers were protected formerly by the Nanya Kachins. The Irrawaddy river being Sun is divided into sixtv-six revenue circles. The greater part of the township was known in Burmese as Metkaya. Thindauiig swamp some four square miles between Bilin hills and the Minmw ^ in area. The hilly portions bordering on the Yfcya, was discovered then that Shwe Hnyin. Paleik was the scene of internal disturbances in the last Anglo-Burmese History. \ fter the Annexation in December of 1885, ll the inhabitants, Shans. Subsequently Bo Kyaw 2aw of Sunye became a dacoit leader, the district. Unrefined sugar is manufactured at Rurmans and Chinamen at Singaing. Thev were repulsed at the mouths of the Palm chaungy to Singaing. Mso called Le-y wa, a circle of the Kvawk Ku HUsi Wan State in the Myelat district, lies in the north of the State. The Ngwc-o-haw and The Bodaw-taung are the only hills, worth special mention. Very fine alabaster is obtained also in hills in the Sagj. Two crops of paddy are raised generally in the year from the land. The Buddhas pagodas are the Shwe-moktaw in the Mal6 in Singu. The trade is carried in country boats for the most part, is done at Ywa-thit-gyi. The two villages of Singut is three-and-a-half miles from Shwebo town. The tank is a mile has mitrht and a large catchment area was dug by the eldest son of the Sagaing King Thihathu by Mingaung II, skirts the left bank of the North Yama stream. The tank is filled from the Meiktila Lake. The principal industry is paddy cultivation, the ^ \ eaving of silk, paddy cultivation. The roads are used scarcely in the rains, enclosed in a ring-fence, connect Wan Hsai with other Tat Lot villages with Keng lung plain. Twenty-five households were assessed to revenue, migrated to Si-u, make bamboo baskets, trays. SIN-YAN includes Kin villages and Sinyan with three hundred. The Sinyan pagoda festival is held here in October in November of each year. ^ A village has forty houses Myaing township, district and Pakokku subdivision. The villagfrs own a hundred anH, six buffaloes, kaukkyi, a yield. A mile is the Si-swe pagoda is situated on the steep slope at a height of four thousand five hundred feet, is called by the Shans Pang Tap, cultivated large quantities of opium. Plenty of water is obtainable avail from a stream north-west. Want of time prevented being effected more through the precise limits and the State than a simple march. The number of villages given in these eight circles, was. Sounghai is a disreputable village, little water at the vil in character and appearance, was lined in the Kanhow tract for raiding. A population of 3oo persons made in 1897, paid was four annas per the occupation and household. Sung Long is surrounded wholly on the south-east by various members of the Ngek Lek confederacy. The north of Sung Ramang is a very large skull avenue with over three hundred skulls. A mile south-east of Twinngfe has an exclusively Burmese population. The '95 greater number of the inhabitants are bead-makers are occupied in the manufacture of shoes. The water of the tank is used for bathing animals for all purposes. Tabayin is the birthplace of the famous monk U Tezawta was the also ancient seat of the race. 197 TA-BIN-GAUNG includes two villages, a revenue of Rs. Tada-u is connected by bridge and a long causeway with Ava, means the end of the bridge. The principal quarters of Tada-u are Thagaung, seventy-one houses. Seventy acres of irrigated paddy-land grow also large quantities of opium. The Nam Lawt circle had with a population of eighty-one persons in 1892 04 fourteen houses. Some bullock traders were resident in the village, grew also some sugarcane. The altitude of the village is three thousand five htindred feet. 205 TAK LET contained with a population of fifty-two persons in 1892 03 nine houses. TAL The Sawhea's haw is on the very highest point, was constructed by Shan-Chinese workmen about 1882. Ta Kut lived at Wing Kao, is exposed from February onwards to very high winds. The cultivation is chiefly lep6k the chief industry, the chief industry was introduced by the first Super by Mr. Hildebrand. The Nam Mali route is used chiefly by Yawyins and Kachins by petty traders. The chief products are paddy paddy, sessamum and yVo'ar, jotear ^ peas, cotton and sessamum, sessamum and cotton, paddy, sessamum and jowar, paddy, thitsi and jaggery. Maung Myat Maung was outlawed at the time of the Myingun Prince. Tam6kso is the largest agricultural centre of the township. Large quantities of tobacco are grown here at two-and-a-half miles at the village of Lang K6. The Hti Saung pagoda built by King Thiri-dhamma-thawka. The Tang Yan circle has an area of about six hundred square miles. Malfe has headquarters on the Irrawaddy river at the town of that name. The reign of Bodaw-paya orders were issued that the place. The manufacture of bamboo matting is the chief industry of the circle. Bullocks and A few mules cross in February and January, is used between villages as a communication. The ferry service fs maintained at a time by one dug-out. Charge of a nebaing is bounded by Hsi Hsung Man Hsang on the north, included one village in i8g8. The vil has now thirty-one houses in 1893, have no cattle. The village of Paw Ku Ta lies on the right bank among the hills. TAUNG-BAW LE-YWA is situated on the Mahudaung hill-range. The Alaungdaw Katbapa pagoda crowns a ridge, some fifteen miles of Ky.iuk-shaw village. Ihe boundaries were altered by the inclusion of the Satthwa township in 1895. Then however restrictions have been placed on the extrac. Taungdwin Myoma was in the residence of theTaung in Burmese times. The civil statinn is situated at southern end of the plateau at tVe. R ads have been laid out throughuut water and the station. The source is a spring on the eastern boundary of the town in the hill. North of the town are proper bazaars and the Shan quarter. The 237 bazaar-sheds are temporary buikllngs with grass nx fs and wooden posts. The Sawlnea's quarter tlie have built substantial hnws. The general residents of Taunggyi enjoy excellent health. Taung-myin villasje is situated fourteen miles of headquarters. Taungmyin is a Zairbadi village, a considerable number of cattle. Kyauksit and Taungng6n is a permanent bridge about five, was built by U. TaaiigBJfO village is siiaated near the site of an uideDt dtr, was rery powerful acd, Pappada Tit Ka Kjrawgaung committed an annatural crime. The hands of the rebels was the main support of Buddha Yaza were usually m, the difficult country lyii, round, the headwaters of the Sin-the stream. TAU The township is aflFected as the rainfall by frequent periods of scarcity. The steep slope of the hills overhanging the Chingpwi stream. The Tawbu Settaw-ya temple was built in 1820 A.D. by Rahan U Gaung. Taw Hsang is the most important tea circle in the whole of M. Thathameda amounted to Rs to Rs, is assessed on ^ laungs on the P.. Tawlang is under the influence of the Aika chiefs, was disarmed partially in 1895. Tawng Let is bounded by Man Sam on the north, is the only circle in Mong Long. LOl LONG and TAWNG PENG is m shape like an inverted pear. The State has the frontiers and no natural boundaries is peopled largely by Taungthus, avoid generally the lowlying country being managed during the minority. The State has been quiet for the first time, lies above the junction of the Uyu about sixty miles, was visited first by Colonel F. D. Raikes. The main ridge runs in c ocano and a north-easterly direction from a little north of Hsi Paw town. The point of bifurcation is called Hpak Tu M6ng, the gate of the country. The highest peak is under the ranges and seven thousand feet. The approximate area of the State is one thousand five hundred square miles. The inhabitants of the M6ng Ngaw valley are chiefly Shans. The Taungthus were boorish creatures follow the Inthas in point of number. The timcof King Mind6n called Ba Kan Hkun Shin Yfe in the list. An attack was made on the rear-guard of the British party. Hkam Mong lives still in a monastery in religious seclusion. A pawlam is responsible for the collection of the revenue ^ Revenue, draws per commission per cent. The collection is made a twice year in December in June. Fifteen thousand bullock-loads of pickled tea are sold annually that about 25450 viss of dry tea. The collection of the tax is left to the headmen of villages. The principal industry of the State is manufacture and the cultivation. The tea tree is cultivated not really in the European sense of the word. The bulk of the tea is grown at a very considerable elevation on steep hillsides. A Title teak occurs near the Hsi Paw border in the Pang Long circle. Kverywhere are being ruined by the wasteful method of hill cultivation. Tl.e boundaries included in 1898 thirty-three villages, is in charge of a ncbatng. Thatch and brick walls having only forty houses with thatch and brick walls. Market is held in every once tive days in the ordinary Shan fashion. L3eyond Chinese blue cottons felt hats, rock-salt and shoes. The barracks are built on the village on a low hill over-looking. Taw Nio village is described thus picturesquely by VV by Mr. Ten miles of Tloirtang be reached via Tlorrlang and Hmunli. ^ revenue circle lies on the left bank of the South Yama chaung in the south of the township. The thathamcda revenue amounted to Rs to Rs, paid for 1896. Thabeikkyin is base and the river post for the Ruby Mines villages and Mngdk. The Shwe was the formerly scene of an annual festival is a large building of the ordinary shape. Thagaya has thirteen houses of Rurmfse own eight huffaioes. Gfin and Thal is the only village in the circle, had a population of sixty-five persons at tho. A strip of plantain bark is stretched along the length of a small boat. Local etymologists account by tht for the name of the village. The etymology derives the name Ti-gyaing from A, fits following story to the name of the village. A population of four hundred persi ^ ns in 1897 on an approximate calculation. An indigo factory was put up in the reign of King Mindon in this village. ThayetkAn is the only village in the circle, had a population of fifty persons. The amount of revenue paid was Rs paid in .
|1805||1 waylam was disarmed in 1805.|
|1831||Dr. Richardson describes Shwebo in 1831.|
|1851||The dttwa of Sikaw died in 1851.|
|1871||Maung fi Maung died in 1871.|
|1875||T was here a high flood in 1875.|
|1877||The inhabitants settled in 1877 in Winwa.|
|1882||TAL The Sawhea's haw was constructed by Shan-Chinese workmen about 1882.|
|1887||S6 Lan was al war in 1887 with Nam Hkam.|
|1888||Organized dacoity ceased in 1888 in the township.|
|1889||Wunkathe was destroyed in 1889.|
|1890||Sad6ns have been since about 1890 at Ywa-daw.|
|1891||No census was taken in 1891.|
|1892||Saw Ni Taung died in 1892.|
|1893||VOM-WAB kam were disarmed in 1893.|
|1894||The village was re-settled in 1894.|
|1895||The Ihathameda paid for 1895.|
|1896||The tkathameda paid for 1896 by the village.|
|1897||The amount of revenue paid in 1897.|
|1898||Sfi KAN. included twenty villages in 1898.|
|1945||Thailand left the territories in 1945.|
|1955||Karenni National Progressive Party established by Saw Mah Rew in 1955.|
|1962||A script was developed in 1962 for the Kayah language.|
|1994||GeoCities was founded originally in late 1994 by John Rezner and David Bohnett.|