The Liga Peruana used in Lima for the first tournaments. The Peruvian President General Manuel A. Odria and Miguel Dasso funded the project for the construction of the new stadium. The ceremony included an award ceremony for many outstanding athletes. The present Estadio Nacional hosted 1957 South American Championship and the 1953 South American Championship. Return received throngs of tourists, more locals and international media coverage. Artificial turf was installed for this competition, remains still in the Estadio Nacional, was removed following the 2010 renovations.
The athletics track was covered temporarily for the rally race Caminos del Inca with asphalt.