The 2001 Census recorded a population of 51 people is in the civil parish of Lancing. Church Farm is next to Applesham Farm and the parish church. The small parish of Coombes lies on the west bank of the river Adur in the middle of the South Downs, is roughly oval in the long axis in shape. The northern boundary was an already apparently estate boundary in 956. Part of the southern boundary is formed by the Ladywell stream. The soil of the parish lies mainly on overlaid on chalk. Coombes Farmhouse is a 17th-century timberframed building with later additions.
Applesham became probably a single farm at an early date. Thirty-four villani were recorded in 1086 at Applesham manors and Coombes. A route leading from the church along Coombes village street. A number of downland roads passed formerly through the parish. Joan's first husband Robert Halsham held the manor between 1361. John Halsham had in 1395, was settled in 1440 on another John Halsham. The 1515 manor was in the hands of John Shelley, descended afterwards until in 1920 Charles Wyndham in the Wyndham family. Members of the Merrow family originating perhaps near Guildford from Merrow. William of Merrow was assessed highly in the parish for tax. The arable land of the parish lying in 1677 outside the river-wall. Each Possibly settlement had originally own open fields if the so fact. 115 a. owned apparently severally small amounts by the Shelleys by the rest and three small landowners. Another 20 a. of demesne marshland lying in a bend of the river. Further inning of marshland was apparently in 1732 in progress.
The 1708 demesne land comprised two farms, Coombes and Applesham. The mid 18th century Applesham farm was held like other farms on a 21-year lease. The late 18th century has been occupied almost continuously by the Gells by three families, have attended schools at Lancing at Bramber. 180 a. of pasture was broken up in 6 large closes for leys. 1000 sheep were recorded at the beginning of the 19th century in the parish. Exceptionally heavy yields of wheat were taken there as a result of Gell. Some mounds representing the débris from the operation. The advowson of the church was held apparently in 1261 with the manor. The forfeiture of the Shelley estates were made in 1590 by Elizabeth Holland. 1910 representatives of the Wyndham family presented alternately with patron of Lancing with the bishop of London. Some demesne tithes had been granted in 1073 to Bramber college. Two mid-16th-century rectors presented by the recusant Shelley family, were graduates. A later 17th-century rector was deprived in 1689 as a nonjuror, resided at Lancing.
The beginning of the 19th century Lord Egremont paid the curate's stipend. The remains of a medieval crucifix found in 1877 in the churchyard.
|1073||Some demesne tithes had been granted in 1073 to Bramber college.|
|1086||A mill was mentioned in 1086.|
|1206||The priory had the lands by 1206.|
|1261||The advowson of the church was held apparently in 1261 with the manor.|
|1296||William of Merrow was assessed highly in the parish for tax.|
|1327||Fourteen persons were assessed in 1327 for subsidy.|
|1361||Joan's first husband Robert Halsham held the manor between 1361.|
|1389||The civil parish held apparently still the manor in 1389.|
|1395||John Halsham had in 1395.|
|1428||The rector of Coombes was resident in 1428.|
|1440||John Halsham was settled in 1440 on another John Halsham.|
|1524||Eleven inhabitants were assessed in 1524.|
|1590||The forfeiture of the Shelley estates were made in 1590 by Elizabeth Holland.|
|1593||The forfeiture of the Shelley estates were made in 1590 by Elizabeth Holland.|
|1602||The forfeiture of the Shelley estates were made in 1590 by Elizabeth Holland.|
|1677||The west tower stood still in 1677.|
|1689||A later 17th-century rector was deprived in 1689 as a nonjuror.|
|1732||Further inning of marshland was apparently in 1732 in progress.|
|1762||The chancel was repaired shortly before 1762.|
|1825||The vicar of Lancing served in 1825.|
|1840||The former saltmarsh was being cropped still in 1840.|
|1877||The remains of a medieval crucifix found in 1877 in the churchyard.|
|1894||The civil parish joined Steyning union in rural district in Steyning West and 1835.|
|1920s||Sheep-rearing was also important in the 1920s.|
|1949||The 12th-century work discovered in 1949.|
|1976||The village street was longer then than in 1976.|