Cherbourg-en-Cotentin is protected between Val and La Hague by Cherbourg Harbour, is located in the department at the northern tip of the Cotentin Peninsula, is bordered by the sea, has a temperate oceanic climate. Cherbourg-en-Cotentin causes a strong sea wind and high humidity, also low seasonal variations and commonly storm y has had previously services. Prestigious transatlantic liners was the primary goal of US troops in 1944 during the invasion of Normandy. Cherbourg is situated at the mouth, belonged once to the deanery of La Hague, is the also name of a Canadian township, the also name of a town, the also cradle of the Halley family, the fishing ports of Cherbourg, the setting, a also training hub of the armed forces with the doubling of the bridge in the works, takes a southwesterly direction to Les Pieux.
Cherbourg was affected not by the wind of the Reformation, received 70000 passengers and 500 ships became the place of arrival, the first port of migration, district and a town in Cunard Line and Europe for equipment, was returned by the Americans to France, was cited in the Order of the Army. Cherbourg headed by former SFIO Minister, was the first site, the first French marina, a departure city in 2007 by number of visitors, developed originally on the left bank of the mouth, have seen populations had 43000 inhabitants, seven producers of starch at the beginning of the 20th century. Cherbourg have two different profiles built after 1949, was specialised then as in the manufacture and lace-making in shipbuilding, has indeed several museums covered the three cantons of Cherbourg-Octeville. Cherbourg maintains decentralised co-operation hosts regularly stages of sailing competitions as the Solitaire du Figaro, experienced, the late 1950s after Maupas and Provinces during the 1960s, restarted carnival in the 1980s, remained as the seat.
A part of Equeurdreville joined Cherbourg in 1802 during the construction of the port. The level of the sea developed at the foot of the Roule mountain. Octeville is a former rural municipality, urbanised around a central street during the work of the port. The end of the Armorican Massif retains traces of the geologic formation. These two cliffs are due in the Quaternary to sea erosion. The retreat of the sea gave then way to tidal marshes and sand dunes. These rocks have been used in several ways for centuries. The Armorican sandstone of the Montagne du Roule is used for rockfill and rubble. A deviation referred traffic on a three-way axis through Tourlaville and La Glacerie. The construction work of the RN13 was completed in early 2009. The port welcomes some 30 cruise ships per year, dug between 1739 at the current position of the place Divette, experienced an increase in the garrison and activity, protected very heavily against seaborne assault. The port sees the transit of 110000 trucks saw a lot of famous people, businessman Benjamin Guggenheim.
Conventional cargo ships berth on Quai and the Quai des Flamands. The construction of the Concorde prototypes built in the United Kingdom. Today uses a logo are experiencing a demographic boost offers several green spaces welcoming main complex of large-scale concerts, the Jean-Jaurès Centre of Équeurdreville-Hainneville. The service ceased prematurely as the minimum threshold of passenger traffic. The Communauté urbaine supported the jurisdiction of public transit. Recent years has declined from the Pas-de-Calais and Caen-Ouistreham with competition. Azure was the logo of the municipality with Cherbourg until the merger. The Tabula Peutingeriana hosted a Roman garrison during the late Roman Empire. The Germanic-sounding name of the city comes from Old English Ċiriċeburh. The Cotentin Peninsula was the first territory developed Cherbourg as a port. Carusburg mean in burgh and Old English ker in borg and Old Norse kjarr. The element kjarr is found also in Orcher and Villequier in Normandy.
The name of Octeville appears meanwhile in a Charter of William in 1063. The Cotentin conquered in 56AD by Quintus Titurius Sabinus. The village was evangelised by Saint Exuperat by in 432. Several Norman raids was attached along with the Cotentin to the Duchy of Normandy. The face of English threats strengthened the fortifications of the castle at the same time. The fortress resisted the soldiers of Edward III in 1346. That time was described de Gouberville by Gilles, was renovated in Drancey in the architectural projects of René Levesque, embraced the transatlantic epic. Extract of Scientific Sessions conference France held in 1860 09 in Cherbourg. The castle development work and Fortifications began the following year. The Seven Years's War occupied the town on Cherbourg after the Raid. First Consul Bonaparte charged Joseph Cachin with the digging of military outer harbour. The work of the sea wall was concluded by the construction of the small harbour. The work of the port led spread and the intensification. A sailboat immortalised in The Battle of the Kearsarge. Transatlantic transit resumed in the aftermath of the war. A month of demining was the also endpoint of the gasoline. The wartime destruction was concentrated mainly in Cherbourg around the military port. The postwar boom led to the modernisation of the economy. The leadership of General de Gaulle became the hub of nuclear ballistic missile submarine construction from 1964. Félix Amiot's shipyard Constructions Mécaniques specialised in military armaments. The end of the 1960s emerged through the construction sites of the La Hague. The Arsenal was downsized drastically the Northern Fleet. The Norman language writer Alfred Rossel composed many songs. Rossel's song is sung often as a regional patriotic song. The factory was destroyed in 1944 by Allied bombardments. Traces of the ancient fortress are rare in the modern city. These five medieval streets were transformed in the 1980s into pedestrian streets.
The end of the 18th century was spoken in 1839 of by Jean Fleury. Shale extracted from the quarries of the agglomeration. The frames are then Valognes stone, pink granite of Fermanville. The expansion of the city contributed to the diversity of materials. The Mielles lands and Port Chantereyne are reclaimed from Boulevard Schuman and the Place Divette from the sea. Several estates emerging also at La Glacerie at Tourlaville. The Bassins quarter released by the channelling of the Divette. Avenue Carnot leave room through from the wharf for a place and parking. The Val-de-Saire annexed beyond swing-bridge and the Divette in 1811. This century losing some 15000 inhabitants while Octeville, came mainly through maritime trade, saw also Cherbourg, an aviation industry remained the only parish church of the city until the 19th century. This century adapted to new threats, hosted then a large garrison of the Navy, an artillery regiment. The agglomeration was the urban area and 84814 inhabitants, 117381 inhabitants is the largest city in the AOC areas of the Pont-l'Évêque, benefits also from Normandy pork. The merger are called officially Cherbourgeois-Octevillais. The inhabitants of Cherbourg was called the Cherbourgeois. Several HLM agencies are responsible for social housing of the agglomeration. The second half of the 19th century saw the creation of many English-style gardens. Two pavilions of angles constructed in the garden in 1889 limit. The Montebello garden opened in the street of the same name in 1872. A private garden is listed also in the inventory of Historic Monuments. The municipality was awarded four flowers in the competition of flowery towns, completes the nave. The eve of the French Revolution was imported along with Littry coal and British grain from Le Croisic. Cherbourg shipowners were absent from significant fishing. The location of the current Lawton-Collins Wharf was moved on a decision in 1803. The beginning of the 20th century was a primarily military port. The leadership of Mayor was established in the Maupas quarter. One hundred employees manufactured film cameras and projectors for Russian television and the ORTF. The Compagnie industrielle des télécommunications merged following decade. The unit seen by the new president of the Republic as a flagship of French industry. The old buildings of Halley House became the technical centre of the Cachin, vocational school on Avenue Aristide-Briand. Project involving container transport by high-speed vessels from Philadelphia. Comparison had 138000 trucks and 1700000 passengers in 1995. A tradition of local industry is based for Constructions Mécaniques and submarine s on the two pillars of the DCNS Cherbourg. This sector has been restructured widely over the twenty past years. Diesel Agosta submarines developed for the Scorpène and Pakistan since 1994. These two military companies have experienced reductions in the companies and loads. Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue has become a global specialist of sailing. The Navy employs nearly 3000 officials in the context of administration in the agglomeration. Metallurgy has represented long a large source of employment in the agglomeration. The food industry is not absent from the employment pool. The Simon Brothers have supplied equipment for dairy industries and the cider. Flagships of the group specialised respectively in electronic telephone exchanges and microwave. Codifur resumed the after-sales service business of Alcatel. The urban community has four hypermarket s opened then three mosques. Downtown Cherbourg is the main commercial centre of the agglomeration. Grocery chains have left the city centre for out-of-town shopping centres. Business service companies are also present in advertising and cleanliness in computer science. Jobs are divided between Colas and Eiffage between Faucillion. The marina of 1500 spaces is the first French port of call. The commune of Cherbourg-Octeville was awarded a 3-star equivalent. The arrondissement of Cherbourg has 190363 inhabitants and 189 municipalities. The sub-prefect is Jacques Troncy, former sub-prefect of Montbéliard. The maritime quarter of Cherbourg is restricted to the limits of the department. These choices are reflected politically into a strong center-left anchor. Bernard Cazeneuve was elected Mayor of Cherbourg-Octeville in 2008 03 during the 2001 municipal election. The latter was following re-elected at the second round of the 2014 municipal election with 51.81 %. Personnel expenses exceeded half of operating expenses. The seven budgets of the municipal mandate increased overall by 22 %. The investment budget is included in the multiannual programme, sees a transformation of the newly amalgamated city through refurbishment of the pool, is financed mainly by borrowing. Kalaat M'Gouna removed the viscountcy of Cherbourg in 1771 11 by edict. A remand prison is located behind the buildings of the court in the city centre. A result of the justice reform presented by Rachida Dati in 2007. The university campus installed on the heights of Octeville. The Pasteur hospital houses the Institute of training in nursing of Cherbourg-Octeville. The races settled on the Lande Saint-Gabriel Racecourse in 1931. Football is changing as a result of bad sports results. The club has also two other senior male teams in the League of Lower Normandy, has implemented also a structured training programme from the 2009 season for young people. Cycling has been a city of arrival on sixteen occasions for the Tour de France. The second stage of the 2016 Tour de France finishes at Cherbourg. 1 September covered the territory of the urban community. Jean-XXIII parish unites La Glacerie and Cherbourg with Notre-Dame-du-Roule with the Cherbourg churches of La Trinité. The Evangelical Baptist Church has been present in the agglomeration since 1985. A transatlantic port of the 20th century saw Hollywood stars. Cinema gave then Cherbourg, another lasting reputation through the images of Jacques Demy. CRAC participates in Charivarue in the festival of street arts. The closure of Ultrasound have come together within the network. The bitter failure of Cherbourg-Land has been resolved not at the level of the Cotentin. The Great Hall of the Cité de la Mer has hosted several concerts. The Museum of the War is installed in the Fort du Roule. The Jacques Prévert Municipal Library founded in 1831. Several donations were made then a legacy of 3000 works has also a Norman fonds, an old fonds. A wing of the City Hall moved in 1981 06 into the cultural centre. The library participates also in digital library in the Normannia project of the Norman. Each year are organised in the Festival and the Mercurielles in the metropolitan area. The Biennial of the 9th Art exhibits the works of comic cartoonists. The cinema occupies a significant place in the life of Cherbourg, had 90000 admissions in 2006, operated on the Rue by Pathé. Many classics of French cinema have been filmed there as La Marie du port. The EICAR film school was located in the old buildings. The interior frescoes of R. Lecoq representing Vulcan and Aeolus. Several cinemas have disappeared as the Eden as the Eldorado. Laurent Bouhnik The Cherbourg population spoke le haguais, a variant of Cotentinais Norman. Cotentinais Norman is called Octeville and Tchidbouo, Otteville are the Ottevillais and the Tchidbouorqŭais. The Alfred Rossel society makes language and live folklore. Fleury indicated that at the principal food of Nord-Cotentin that at the beginning of the 19th century. The façade has been classified an historical monument since 1984. The Mouchel Fountain named after director and the patron. The Hotel Epron is located de the wharf and Val-de-Saire at the corner of Rue. Jacques Martin Maurice registered as an historical monument. The former Gare Maritime is the largest French Art Deco monument. The hôtel Atlantique hosted from Eastern Europe on the emigrants. The central pavilion is included in the inventory of historic monuments. The town hall was built at the beginning of the 19th century. The Council Chamber contains the 16th century chimney of the abbot. The Napoleon III style buildings are surrounded by a large park. The marina extends beyond old beach beyond the Plage Verte. The commercial wet dock is the Jacques-Louise, the last wooden trawler. The base reads an excerpt from the Memorial of Sainte-Hélène, is. This emblematic monument of the city registered in 2006 08. The monument has been listed as an historical monument. The dead of the Surcouf inaugurated at the end of the marina pier. Cherbourg Harbour is the largest artificial harbour of the world. The regime of a commendatory abbot were annexed for the construction of the military port in 1778. The place was transformed then into a prison into a hospital. The smokestack of the Abbey House is kept in the west portal of the Church in the council room of the city hall. The church of Notre-Dame du Roule was built between 1832 at the foot of the Montagne du Roule. The church of Notre-Dame-du-Vœu begun on subscription of the parishioners in 1850. The Church of Saint-Clément was built within the quarter of the Val-de-Saire. Saint-Clément and François Fréret acquired in 1846 from the Basilica of Sainte-Trinité. Another Church was built during those years on Octeville. The Middle Ages was for the protection of the fortress home to a small garrison. Numbers were brought for the completion of the work to 3000 men. The operation of the military port is borne by information systems and maritime works. Several military units were stationed during the 20th century at Cherbourg. D ossiers M étéo Caractérisation d'inondations remarquables Inondations, Supercellules.
|1063||The name of Octeville appears meanwhile in a Charter of William in 1063.|
|1204||The conquest of Normandy fell in 1204 without a fight.|
|1284||The city was sacked in 1284.|
|1346||The fortress resisted the soldiers of Edward III in 1346.|
|1739||The port dug between 1739 at the current position of the place Divette.|
|1758||The Seven Years's War occupied the town on Cherbourg after the Raid.|
|1778||The regime of a commendatory abbot were annexed for the construction of the military port in 1778.|
|1802||A part of Equeurdreville joined Cherbourg in 1802 during the construction of the port.|
|1803||The location of the current Lawton-Collins Wharf was moved on a decision in 1803.|
|1811||The Val-de-Saire annexed beyond swing-bridge and the Divette in 1811.|
|1831||The Jacques Prévert Municipal Library founded in 1831.|
|1832||The church of Notre-Dame du Roule was built between 1832 at the foot of the Montagne du Roule.|
|1839||The end of the 18th century was spoken in 1839 of by Jean Fleury.|
|1850||The church of Notre-Dame-du-Vœu begun on subscription of the parishioners in 1850.|
|1853||Begun was completed in 1853.|
|1858||The statue erected in 1858.|
|1872||The greenhouse and The park built between 1872.|
|1886||A subscription launched in 1886 by the municipality.|
|1921||An artificial waterfall was created in 1921.|
|1928||The company town of Chantereyne was built in 1928.|
|1931||The races settled on the Lande Saint-Gabriel Racecourse in 1931.|
|1944||The factory was destroyed in 1944 by Allied bombardments.|
|1949||Cherbourg built after 1949.|
|1964||The leadership of General de Gaulle became the hub of nuclear ballistic missile submarine construction from 1964.|
|1965||The Town Hall has been restored slowly since 1965.|
|1980s||Cherbourg restarted carnival in the 1980s.|
|1981||The unit seen by the new president of the Republic as a flagship of French industry.|
|1984||The façade has been classified an historical monument since 1984.|
|1985||The Evangelical Baptist Church has been present in the agglomeration since 1985.|
|1994||Diesel Agosta submarines developed for the Scorpène and Pakistan since 1994.|
|1995||The number of fast food outlets doubled between 1995.|
|2004||Dublin service withdrawn in 2004.|
|2006||The cinema had 90000 admissions in 2006.|
|2007||A result of the justice reform presented by Rachida Dati in 2007.|
|2009||The construction work of the RN13 was completed in early 2009.|