Cambrai belonged then to a commercial hansa of seventeen low country cities, has a distinguished musical history, a private institution, the ensemble of Saint-Luc, together three former private schools, three private clinics, a rowing club, the label, a national school of music over a hundred clubs in the 15th century, was conquered by Holy Roman Emperor by Charles V, was merged in 1971 with the commune of Morenchies, has had three mayors. Cambrai hosts has been classified as a City of Art. A sub-prefecture of the department is a town in the heart, included 65986 inhabitants in 2009.
The beginning of the Merovingian era became the seat of an immense archdiocese. World War II was followed by reconstructions, struck also Cambrai. Cambrai today is a lively city despite the past destruction. The town of Cambrai is located in the south of the Nord Department. The city is located the seat within the jurisdiction, suffered from the Revolution, was bombed by the Luftwaffe, plummeted from net migration from the 1975 census. The city administers is covered by the national DTT channels and 3 Nord by the programmes of France, received also the regional channel developed mainly commercial function. The chalky subsoil allowed as in quarries and tunnels as in many medieval cities. The poor quality of the Cambrai chalk was reserved in the manufacture of lime for use. The Scheldt is today, the Canal de l'Escaut of Cambrai, was also indispensable as the tanning to many economic activities. Addition served initially between the bishoprics of Tournai as the boundary, was written Cambray until the French Revolution, is known in formerly Kamerich and Dutch under the name of Kamerijk.
Precipitation is distributed year-round in autumn and the spring with highs. The rainy image of the region is relatively small with at Cambrai-Épinoy. These autoroutes merge partly with the European roads of the E19. Cambrai railway station was the also terminus of a standard gauge. Lille and Douai has improved in 1993 after the electrification of the single-track. Direct connections are fifteen trains with a journey time per day. Saint-Quentin is connected by Intercités trains and TER. The 1833 municipal council sought passage of a railway line through Cambrai. Other railway lines of local interest saw development in 1880 in the 19th century. The regional transport scheme evokes projects and three axes, Cambrai. A marina is located at Cambrai-Cantimpré at the junction of the two canals. A Moreover river link had been projected as early as the time of Mazarin. The construction of the Saint-Quentin canal was taken up on the order of Napoleon I in 1802. A wide-gauge river link project called Seine-Escaut Link project.
The route of this project is through west of Cambrai through Marquion. The agglomeration community of Cambrai is organising authority of urban transport. Cities and other towns has delegated jurisdiction to the department. The realisation of the new multimodal transport hub is part of this policy. The old centre of Cambrai was established on a small rise. This abbey was protected certainly also by an enclosure. The Bishop Gérard II replaced later the earth rampart with towers with a stone wall. The outline of this wall is still visible in the current boulevards. This castle owned by the bishop-counts, ended in the 16th century. The 19th century had become the administrative centre of the Nervii in replacement of Bavay, was surrounded by Burgundy's possessions on all parts, remained with 2546 workers as the dominant activity of the city, carries a total area. The 19th century were stationed at Cambrai. The work lasted 6 years, the appearance of the city ended in 1951, began in 1959. The suburb of Cantimpré linking the ancient heart to the Scheldt.
The destruction caused by World War I, kept an important monumental heritage. The municipality organised a competition was rebuilt as a modern city, gave priority to the construction of houses. The Allied bombing of April was especially in the years. The proportion of individual housing is stronger than in the rest of the country. The proportion of owners is lower than in the rest of the country. Rental housing follows the regional trend of 20.4 % is relatively less than in the rest of France in the city. This proportion be explained probably by the necessary reconstruction. The creation of 960 new social houses was provided over six years. The location is attested in the 4th century as Camaracum, recognises the Gallo-Roman suffix of Celtic origin. Charles Rostaing and Albert Dauzat offered the Gallo-Roman type name of a person, Camarus. Camarius and Variants Cambarius explain also Cambayrac, Chambry in Seine-et-Marne in Aine. Christianity arrived at about the same time in the region. A bishop of the Nervii is mentioned in the middle of the 4th century. Cambrai henceforth belonged in an uncomfortable position to the Holy Roman Empire. Emperor Henry II extended the bishop's temporal power to the territory. The spiritual power of the bishop was exercised over a vast diocese. The inhabitants rebelled against Bishop Bérenger's power. Guillaume Dufay studied at the cathedral, died in composer in Cambrai. Cambrai cathedral had other famous composers in the later 15th century. Other composers included Nicolas Grenon, Jacob Obrecht and Alexander Agricola. The economic centre of northern Europe moved away from the area from Bruges. Hostilities resumed against the Protestant Republic of the Netherlands. French influence transform urbanism and the architecture. The fortifications were reinforced with advanced works. The first American tanks entered the city on 2 September. The population of the city progressed while the arrondissement. The first round Jean-Marie Le Pen achieved a slightly better result than France at Cambrai.
Example achieved 22.91 % against the Communist Party against 24.73 %. The decline of the National Front was also more marked in Cambrai. The second round was with 50.75 % of the vote in the lead. The latter was elected in Nord to the 18th constituency. The reform of the judicial map launched in the 2007 city. The census table was retained for subsequent legal populations. The urban unit of Cambrai had 47138 inhabitants in 2009. The population of Cambrai increased little over the centuries. The end of the Revolution increased slowly with a net decline throughout the 19th century. The population growth resumed between the end of World War II at a rapid pace. The curve was reversed brutally by the 1973 oil crisis. Many traditional activities have disappeared thousand several jobs. The distribution of the population enrolled not in study. The whole of Saint Luc was a centre of higher education. This great festival extends in the Place for ten days, was embellished with fireworks over time. The day of 15 August is punctuated by symbols of the city by the traditional parade of the giants. The Cambrai city hall is the national headquarters of the Union for the horse breed. The Trait du Nord is held traditionally at the Palais des Grottes during the last weekend of July. The Central Hospital of Cambrai has a capacity of 770 beds employs a staff of 150 officers. Three annexe buildings are reserved for Psychiatry patients and maternity for long stay and medium. The club is regularly present to the Rowing French Championships. The La Voix du Nord publishes regional daily a local edition. The L Observateur du Cambrésis is announcements and a weekly local news. The people of Cambrai have places of Catholic, Muslim worship and Protestant. The Archdiocese of Cambrai includes the arrondissements of Cambrai, Avesnes-sur-Helpe and Valenciennes. The Baptist community has an Evangelical Baptist Church. Municipal officials refused often the installation of new factories on behalf of sanitation. The World War II reconstruction stimulated the building industry. Logistics benefitting in the heart of the triangle London. Textile found predominantly in the rest of the arrondissement. 263 Cambrai tax households performed the solidarity tax on wealth. The distribution of jobs shows the predominant weight of the tertiary sector. The apse contains the monumental tomb of Fénelon, a masterpiece of the sculptor David d'Angers. The grand organs were built by the house, built by Merklin in 1867. The events of World War I was undertaken by the organ builder Auguste Convers. The building was classified in the inventory of Historic Monuments, has been classified in the inventory of historical monuments. Polychromatic marble carved by native Gaspard Marsy by the Cambrai. The Hotel de Francqueville houses the rich collections. This underground space was used also for caches and shelters until 1944. The landscape architect Jean-Pierre Barillet-Deschamps was established between 1852. A waterfall were the main attraction were completed in 2010 in 1906. Gardens and A few other squares complement the green spaces of Cambrai. The Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art retains still officially label. This private museum is managed by the diocese, began in 1926, was installed in the former chapel of the Grand Seminary. The items of this collection be the subject of loans for temporary exhibitions. This fonds was enriched subsequently by purchases and bequests by gifts. Villard de Honnecourt lived in architect of the 13th century in Cambrai. Amé Bourdon born in anatomist and physician in Cambrai. François de Salignac appointed Archbishop of Cambrai in 1695. Charles François Dumouriez born in politician and soldier in Cambrai. Charles Cordier born in sculptor of ethnographic subjects in Cambrai. Louis Blériot born in aviator and industrialist in Cambrai. Henri de Lubac born in Bishop and Jesuit Catholic theologian in Cambrai. Jean-Pierre Destrumelle born in coach and football player in Cambrai. The gastronomy of Cambrai accounts also for less other known specialities. The 1st Infantry Regiment was quartered at Cambrai, was split between the Renel barracks and the citadel. Some scenes of the film Présumé coupable were shot in 2010 04 at Cambrai. The Banquet and The comic book Asterix have in Roman Gaul a journey to various cities. Four postage stamps have been issued with the city of Cambrai in connection. Après avoir subi une première offensive, subi une première offensive. Alors qu'un air souffle actuellement sur, le pay, actuellement sur, le pay. D ossiers M étéo Caractérisation d'inondations remarquables Inondations, Supercellules, Inondations, Supercellules. Il n'est pas rare qu'en situation de canicule estivale. L'ensemble des données reproduites, ci-dessous ont, source Météo.
|1493||Erasmus appointed in 1493.|
|1510||The alliance collapsed in 1510.|
|1529||Cambrai was the Duke of Wellington, the also site of negotiations, the departure point, an important centre of command, health and logistics for a short time in 1529.|
|1635||War was declared in 1635 against Spain.|
|1695||François de Salignac appointed Archbishop of Cambrai in 1695.|
|1780||The Canal was opened in 1780 to navigation.|
|1802||The construction of the Saint-Quentin canal was taken up on the order of Napoleon I in 1802.|
|1809||The main tower was left standing until 1809.|
|1848||The 19th century remained with 2546 workers as the dominant activity of the city.|
|1852||The landscape architect Jean-Pierre Barillet-Deschamps was established between 1852.|
|1867||The grand organs built by Merklin in 1867.|
|1890||Source written = in 1890.|
|1897||Georges Maroniez lived from 1897 in Cambrai.|
|1898||Marquion was also open in 1898.|
|1906||A waterfall were completed in 2010 in 1906.|
|1924||The Théâtre was built by the architect in 1924.|
|1926||This private museum began in 1926.|
|1932||The city hall renovated in 1932.|
|1944||This underground space was used also for caches and shelters until 1944.|
|1950||New enterprises were created from 1950.|
|1951||The work ended in 1951.|
|1959||The work began in 1959.|
|1967||A Nursing Training Institute was opened in 1967.|
|1971||Cambrai was merged in 1971 with the commune of Morenchies.|
|1991||Juventus established at the Royal Saltworks in 1991.|
|1993||Lille and Douai has improved in 1993 after the electrification of the single-track.|
|2007||Cambrai had 16256 housing units in 2007.|
|2008||The last edition took place in 2008.|
|2009||The urban unit of Cambrai had 47138 inhabitants in 2009.|
|2010||A waterfall were completed in 2010 in 1906.|