The line was leased to a ten further Metropolitan and the company. Ten open-top double-deck trailers and Six Kitson steam locomotives maintained initial services. 1883 two Wilkinson locos were added over a 19 further more Kitson over the three next years. Early locos were provided by Falcon by Kitson, were manufactured in 1885 by Green. Falcon supplied the covered double-deck bogie trailers, Midland Tramways Ltd. and The Birmingham ran in the centre of Birmingham from Summer Row. The remainder constructed by Western Districts Tramways Co.
Ltd. and the Birmingham. The initial steam locos were supplied by Oldbury and Kitson. 1899 six second-hand Kitson locos were purchased from District Electric Tramways and Stourbridge from the Dudley. The entire fleet was housed in West Smethwick in the depot. The th 29 September took over the running of the Birmingham Central Tramway Company. Additional double-deck bogie trailers were supplied in 1899 by Midland. 1902 06 Aston Manor UDC purchased the portion of the line. A common fare structure was established with through timetabling. Connections were made at Ladywood with the Black Country network of BET. The 1 st April took over the main line route to Dudley of the former Birmingham. Th 26 November replaced although tramway abandonment the route to Nechells. The However bulk of the system remained throughout the war years in use. Sunday was another historic day with Midland Metro and both Manchester Metrolink for UK tramways. Openings have been very regular occurrences for Midland Metro over the past few years.
Manchester have seen the dedicated band of enthusiasts. A Meanwhile far more historic occasion was experienced with the opening of the Midland Metro extension in the West Midlands. Work is continuing on the remainder of the city centre extension, had been hoped originally the full extension. The Now Shaw service doubles up capacity, every 12 minutes. Summary Early uniforms were double-breasted with two rows of four buttons. The collars bore embroidered badges on a script-lettering grade badge and the right-hand side, were embroidered on the bearer's left-hand side. An example of this badge exists also for general use without the grade. The last few years were replaced by military style caps, shot boss. The kepi-style caps were replaced eventually by the cap badges and standard miiitary style caps. District inspectors wore a very similar uniform to inspectors. Some point was replaced with a glossy peak by a baggy cap. Female staff were employed also during the Second World War in significant numbers.
This page has been put together from David Smith with a great deal of help. Images Blow-up of the above photo showing a group of motormen. The latter have been a regimental badge as many photos of tramway staff. The cap badge is blue enamel design and the newer oval brass. Motorman Frank Bridges wearing modern single-breasted jackets with lapels. The two motormen are wearing the later-period blue enamel cap badge despite the name of the organisation. The conductor is wearing a round PSV badge am indebted to David Smith.
|Year||Birmingham Corporation Tramways|
|1872||The first trams operated from 1872 in Birmingham.|
|1875||Hill Top was curtailed in 1875 at Carter's Green.|
|1885||Early locos were manufactured in 1885 by Green.|
|1899||Additional double-deck bogie trailers were supplied in 1899 by Midland.|
|1904||The terms of the Tramways Act was n't that the Birmingham Corporation until 1904.|
|1928||Stechford was opened in 1928.|
|1947||The However bulk of the system remained throughout the war years in use.|
|1953||Birmingham Corporation Tramways operated a network of tram ways from 1904 in Birmingham.|